Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Trying to select a plate carrier.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    SKD is doing a St Patrick's Day sale tomorrow -
    - 15% off anything green (ranger green, olive drab, foliage & sewer green)
    - 10% off everything else

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    Has anyone seen 5.11s New pc?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Yes, and the fully featured one is pretty nice. The cummerbund velcro is hook/hook, so you need the front flaps on the cummerbund sides (loop/loop) to be inserted to close the flap. That way if you drop the flap while donning you won't have to tear the velcro apart again to fasten it.

The padding is very nice too.

The one shortcoming is that the plate pocket is sewn in a little too low, so it's difficult to keep plates as high as what is typically ideal.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies. I still haven't picked one up. Only due to the fact that I got carried away and got a new G19 and a GREAT deal on a G17. Probably in the next couple months though as soon as the allowance is up again! I am still looking pretty much at the plateminus and the Mayflower since my main objective is to be as concealable as possible. Excited about the plateminus 2 to come out too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Saw the 5.11 ran at Warcon LE/Mil class this weekend. Looked like a good kit. JPC, LBT, and BFG Plateminus all present. All did what it was supposed to do. Just depends what your needs are. Good stuff.
    P144:1

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    I'm away at TCC but when I get back I will post pics of the STT.

SOS
    Any plans to release this in grey?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I bought the STT before they started offering different sized cummerbunds (or at least did offer them for a split second, looks like they are all L/XL now). Had to return it as the cummerbund was absolutely huge. I wore a Crye JPC in medium and it had plenty of room both ways, but the STT at it's skinniest setting still looked like it was built for The Rock...or Cartman. I'm not a big guy, but I'd imagine there are a lot of skinny guys like me. For reference I am 5'11" 175lbs. I'd like to check it out when the S/M cummerbunds are available.

Feedback Score
    I did the same thing. That cummerbund is quite large and wasn't mentioned in the original description. Kind of ticked me off because I'm out $15 for shipping and it wasn't my fault. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post
    I bought the STT before they started offering different sized cummerbunds (or at least did offer them for a split second, looks like they are all L/XL now). Had to return it as the cummerbund was absolutely huge. I wore a Crye JPC in medium and it had plenty of room both ways, but the STT at it's skinniest setting still looked like it was built for The Rock...or Cartman. I'm not a big guy, but I'd imagine there are a lot of skinny guys like me. For reference I am 5'11" 175lbs. I'd like to check it out when the S/M cummerbunds are available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ahh, more members of the "who did they design the STT for?" club. My thought was that it was built for people from the internet. Or just fat kids who play airsoft. They definitely lost some points in the "I'll trust them to know what they're doing" category for me to order something on release day with no reviews and hard numbers for sizing.
    Last edited by kelvrick; 04-05-14 at 04:03.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    What footage?

Also has anyone been running that ten speed stuff from BFG. Curious as to how those spandex type mag holders are holding up. Thanks
    They BFG 10speeds do hold up better than I excepected.
    They are actually really great to stack on top of a single M4 mag pouch as they stay flat, but you have space available if you want to plus up your mag carrying capacity.
    On the down side, don't get to attached to them as they will eventually wear out, either by stretching or pulling apart due to sharp things.
    Also reinserting a mag is near impossible one handed- wear a dump pouch if you're using these.

Quote Originally Posted by Amur View Post
    I have been thinking about picking up the PIG BRIG systema. It's cheap, streamlined and seems like for a civi, it dose'nt get more lowprofile that that with a 3 or 4 mag holder attachable.

Anyone ver use one of these or have thoughts on them? I have a 4mag chest rig system with the kiwi and think its very streamlined and efficient.
    I too am looking for an ultra-low pro PC, as I'm going to be using a very similar LP-PC + Chest Rig to what the OP is (I assume) trying to set up.
    Initial thoughts on the Brig- it is specifically fit to certain plates- know your plates before you buy!
    I have VS 10x12 plates, and it's the first carrier I've used (and I've had a few...) that actually fit them how I like (of course, doesn't help they're an off size...).
    The way the shoulder straps are positioned lower to hold the plates up high easier is a good idea.
    However....
    Some things that really killed it for me-
    The design of the straps with the plates is kind of... bleh.
    Yeah, I know I just said it was a good idea, and it is...if you want to wear the PC by itself with nothing else. As stated I'm working with a chest rig over the top, for when I want to plus up the gear I need to carry. The way the straps sit low behind the plates, instead of pulling the upper half into your chest, instead causes the plates to stick up in front of you- this leads to annoying square edges and even with shoulder pads, and "blank" space across your shoulders where the CR straps ride.
    Because of the way the plates stick out, it also makes it difficult to sling a CR on quick, as any rear straps/H-harness
    immediately fall behind the rear plate and catches there- then you have to try to pull it up and wiggle it around to get the straps to clear (with an H-harness, it may actually slide behind the rear plate and fit ok), and the straps are also very awkward running over the square corners in the front, especially as they keep trying to slip off to one side or the other.
    I strapped on the APC I have to see if I was just imagining things, and I wasn't- it was a complete (improved) difference wearing the CR over the APC.

Also, if you get one, I'm also not sure if you would need the MOLLE back- I slapped a 2L hydro to it (PIG carrier + Source bladder), and while I'm sure the material *should* hold up, I was not sold on the way the extra weight pulled the rear plate even further back against the straps.

But, YMMV.

That looks pretty legit for civies. I am not sure I would like that material set up. I have a full chest rig right now and would need something to use molle with for my mag pouches and stuff
    Why not just wear the chest rig over the armor? Lost of folks do that.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-06-14 at 10:02.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use a Mayflower plate carrier, fits well and is comfortable. Got it
    for matches/classes that require armor.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast