Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Gas port Sizes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    355
    Feedback Score
    0

    Gas port Sizes

    Who has the low down on gas ports for different length barrels? My main interest is 10.3 and 11.5 barrels but if you have a chart or list of other lengths that would be great. I have an old barrel I'm having cut down so it needs to be opened up so it will run.

    TIA for the help.
    Sad, that it takes someone else to tell you your life is worth protecting and that you are the one ultimately responsible for it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    51
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom
    Who has the low down on gas ports for different length barrels? My main interest is 10.3 and 11.5 barrels but if you have a chart or list of other lengths that would be great. I have an old barrel I'm having cut down so it needs to be opened up so it will run.

    TIA for the help.
    14.5" and 16" barrels run .062" IIRC 10.3" and 11.5" are .085" and 12.5" is .074"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    355
    Feedback Score
    0
    Moose thank you.
    Sad, that it takes someone else to tell you your life is worth protecting and that you are the one ultimately responsible for it.

  4. #4
    Thors ~ Hammer Guest
    Heres a good list. Scroll down about halfway.

    http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR1...tenacefaq.msnw

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    25
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Thors ~ Hammer
    Heres a good list. Scroll down about halfway.

    http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR1...tenacefaq.msnw

    I wouldn't use that list. I screwed up two barrels following his recommended port sizes. He's got the ports for a 14.5 inch barrel way too large. .61 - .62 is the perfect size for a 14.5 inch barrel, especially if you're running fullauto. On an 11.5 inch barrel go with .69 IIRC, no larger.
    Μολὼν Λαβέ

    Have gun... will travel.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    5,283
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Bump...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    144
    Feedback Score
    0
    Where exactly is the gas port located. I am thinking inside of the carrier key.
    Could not find any diagrams with this info.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    10,744
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Factory 10.25" CQBR barrel 1x7 .091"

    My AR15Barrels cutdown 10 7/16" LMT (cut down from a factory 14.5") 1x7 .078"
    You need 30 posts before you can post in the Equipment Exchange, I get at least 200 PMs asking me that annually...

    FFL/SOT armorer
    www.virginiaarms.com
    robb@virginiaarms.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    305
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt6920 View Post
    Where exactly is the gas port located. I am thinking inside of the carrier key.
    Could not find any diagrams with this info.

    6920,
    The port is in the barrel under the gas block (or front-sight base) and is what bleeds gas through the gas tube back to the carrier key.
    Aubrey<><

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,107
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Factory 10.25" CQBR barrel 1x7 .091"

    My AR15Barrels cutdown 10 7/16" LMT (cut down from a factory 14.5") 1x7 .078"
    Which one runs smoother?
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru
    California Precision Rifle Club founding member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •