Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What buffer are you running in your middie?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never read the instructions, but I've had people ask me crazy stuff about heating the parts and all this. I've never heated up anything.

You don't have to do all of that stuff. The worst thing you can do is give retard gun people guidelines... be it ATF regs or Lube instructions. Most gun people are incapable of thinking for themselves and were aparently beaten for coloring outside the lines as kids.

I can tell you the lube works fine when deployed properly. I was given samples several times before I tried it. I'd lived through many prior lube sales pitches, so I didn't pay much attention. I don't know much about the instructions or claims... just that it's the best warm climate lube I've ever used for the AR.

Two likely reasons for Froglube problems I could see would be, 1. Cold... the stuff sets up as it cools... and 2. Guns attract retards. No telling what dumb stuff people are doing with the product.

(I don't want to give the impression that I'm shilling the stuff... just stating my experience. Pappabear bought a bulk of it and gave me some of his to use and I've been happy with it.)
    Last edited by markm; 03-05-14 at 14:59.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    I used FrogLube for a while. Under most conditions, and with regular use it's a great lube. I love the fact that it stays where you put it until fired. I used it all last year and did lots of shooting with great results. The "gummy" problems I had heard about never made much sense to me until recently. I didn't do much shooting this winter, and had several guns sitting unfired for around 4 months. Took them out for a class in January and it didn't go well. Whether from sitting up, the cold weather (temps in the low 20s), or a combination of both, the FrogLube had basically turned into something resembling molasses. Caused several issues until it heated up and thinned out again after working through a mag or two.

I wouldn't recommend it for guns that will be treated and put away for any length of time, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone in cold climates. Personally, I just moved on. I loved a lot about the stuff but the stipulations overpower the benefits to me. I'm back to good ol' Mobil 1 for now, although I am testing Fireclean and RandCLP on a couple guns with good results so far.
    Nearly identical experience here. My primary reason for switching to FL was not liking the puddle of SLIP2000 in my buffer tubes after lubing the gun and putting it in the rack. At first, I really liked FL, bordering on love. It seemed to be everything that was claimed. And I think if you use it in a warm environment and clean and re-apply every month or two, it probably is. But I too have some guns that get stored a lot, and we had a bitter cold winter here (not over yet), and FL that's been sitting for 6+ months dries out and becomes a sort of chalky thing with limited lubricating abilities. Meanwhile I got around to trying some Weaponshield that I bought like 4 or 5 years ago and hadn't used (because I was handed SLIP2000 around the same time, and went from that to FL), and WS seems to make things as slick as FL without requiring mystical incantations. Haven't used it long enough to see how it acts 6+ months after application, but since it's an oil, I'm guessing that whatever hasn't run off will still work.

Long story short, I've played the miracle wonderlube game enough times now, and am settling down to "buy anything decent, re-apply regularly."

My midlength 16" carbines run mostly H buffers. Without knowing the gas port size or brand, I think it's hard to say that "X" buffer is the right choice for a particular setup. Anyway, I'm gradually migrating to the A5 system. This past weekend I was testing two lowers and ran the same (ARP) 16" middie on both, and could both feel the recoil difference and see two distinct piles of brass from the two different setups (A5 and carbine-H buffer).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Nearly identical experience here. My primary reason for switching to FL was not liking the puddle of SLIP2000 in my buffer tubes after lubing the gun and putting it in the rack. At first, I really liked FL, bordering on love. It seemed to be everything that was claimed. And I think if you use it in a warm environment and clean and re-apply every month or two, it probably is. But I too have some guns that get stored a lot, and we had a bitter cold winter here (not over yet), and FL that's been sitting for 6+ months dries out and becomes a sort of chalky thing with limited lubricating abilities. Meanwhile I got around to trying some Weaponshield that I bought like 4 or 5 years ago and hadn't used (because I was handed SLIP2000 around the same time, and went from that to FL), and WS seems to make things as slick as FL without requiring mystical incantations. Haven't used it long enough to see how it acts 6+ months after application, but since it's an oil, I'm guessing that whatever hasn't run off will still work.

Long story short, I've played the miracle wonderlube game enough times now, and am settling down to "buy anything decent, re-apply regularly."

My midlength 16" carbines run mostly H buffers. Without knowing the gas port size or brand, I think it's hard to say that "X" buffer is the right choice for a particular setup. Anyway, I'm gradually migrating to the A5 system. This past weekend I was testing two lowers and ran the same (ARP) 16" middie on both, and could both feel the recoil difference and see two distinct piles of brass from the two different setups (A5 and carbine-H buffer).
    Curiously, I'm more sold on Froglube now - when it does get cold, I can burn through the piles of CLP I've recently relegated to bicycle chain lube (fantastic at that).
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The worst thing you can do is give retard gun people guidelines... be it ATF regs or Lube instructions. Most gun people are incapable of thinking for themselves and were aparently beaten for coloring outside the lines as kids.
    Sig material right here. Too many people overlook the buffer/gun lube deal.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Well I have been using it for 3 years now and have yet to experience any of the horror stories I keep hearing about. My AR's run 100% and they have yet seize up or anything else. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    All kinds of reports of that stuff gumming up guns everywhere but here.

The instructions are ridiculous and the claims they make are so far fetched I don't see how anyone with any common sense thinks it would be a worthwhile PITA.

I've never tried the stuff myself, but I don't need to. You tell me to hit my gun with a hair-dryer, and smear on some vegetable grease that will soak through the finish and into the pores of a hard-ass steel gun, and disappear, only to return again (a visible amount nonetheless) when I shoot the gun... Yeah.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Nearly identical experience here. My primary reason for switching to FL was not liking the puddle of SLIP2000 in my buffer tubes after lubing the gun and putting it in the rack.
    That's a lot of lube for a gun going into storage. When I was using petroleum lubes, I'd just put a light coat and put the gun away.... And just keep a bottle in my gear for when it was time to shoot.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Well ya'll can like that stuff all ya'll want. I'll be here waiting for the next thing to catch ya'lls attention.
    M4Carbine will generally hate on Froglube at some point.

I still kick myself for not buying gallons of mil issue Breakfree a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Well ya'll can like that stuff all ya'll want. I'll be here waiting for the next thing to catch ya'lls attention.
    M4Carbine will generally hate on Froglube at some point.

I still kick myself for not buying gallons of mil issue Breakfree a few years ago.
    I'm trying to keep an open mind an hear your point. But frankly you're coming off like a child with a sour grapes mentality. The folks here, including myself, who are successfully using it aren't new to the AR game. I'm sure there are dozens of accounts of Arfcom booger eaters in Minnesooter who had problems... but those fukktards can screw up anything in their Spikes tactical guns.

This site isn't easily sold on phony products. Take the Nano Lube goobers that tried to sell their nonsense here a year or two back as an example. It took less than a day to shoot holes in their claims.

Feedback Score
    I'm running a H buffer.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Well back to the A5...

How is spring life compared to a carbine spring? Do ya'll like the spring that comes with the kit?

I'm still liking the idea of the A5 even though I didn't like it the time I tried it. I am however sitting on two complete A5 kits and I love the Emod stock so I'm thinking about giving it another try since I'm due for a spring on usin' lower...

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast