Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb Questions for Precision Optics

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    FFP works good for guys like me who make mental errors.
    I am also mathematically challenged, so it would make things slightly easier, whats your opinion on MOA vs MIL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    MIL all the way for more commonality. Both work. But we've switched to all mil.

The one thing that's more important than all this mil, reticle, and glass stuff... and equipment though...

THE MOST important thing you can have is a good spotter. You can get it done with crappy gear and a good spotter, but the reverse I've not found to be true.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Get a Leupold Mk6 3-18 in H59 reticle.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Thanks for all the info guys, I'll post pics when its all set up, probably about a year from now. In the mean time, how would you recommend learning to shoot at long ranges?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaunder View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys, I'll post pics when its all set up, probably about a year from now. In the mean time, how would you recommend learning to shoot at long ranges?
    What do you mean? Learning Bolt gun techniques? Range protocols?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Another thing to consider, and Mark can expand on this I'm sure, is the adjustment lost when you step up in magnification.

If you look at the Viper 4-16 it has 75 minutes of adjustment. The 6-24 has 65 minutes of adjustment.

Is the loss of adjustment worth the increased magnification? How much scope adjustment do you need to drop a 308 on target at 1000 yards? Is 65 minutes more than enough, maybe enough for 1400 yards or more?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Thing like wind readings, I am familiar with how to shoot a tactical Bolt Rifle, But nothing more than 300 yards, in which case I have simply used holdovers

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wind is just a matter of practice. Once you start scoping out past 500 and stuff... the heat mirage gets more clear... on hot days it's so much that it can make the target/hits hard to spot.

If you can pair up with a shooter and learn together, it's so much better. You can really end up chasing your ass if you're pushing your abilities on your own. Both Pappabear and I have gone out alone when one of us couldn't make it and it's amazing how quick you realize the value of your partner.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    How much elevation am I going to need in the optic itself, the nightforce has 110 moa elevation and 80 moa windage. The US Optics has 80 moa elevation and 70 windage,

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A thousand yard shot is requiring in the ball park of 40 MOA. To get my glass to have enough come up to comfortably shoot 1000 or more, I used a 20 MOA scope base. I started with a standard base, but it wasn't enough.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast