Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC Blackout 8" AR Pistol build

Feedback Score

Cool 300 AAC Blackout 8" AR Pistol build

Just got this 'pistol' finished up today. Entire length from tip of muzzle device to end of buffer tube cover is exactly 26". However since the flash can isn't permanently attached, no VFG. Specs are as follows:

Upper:
    PSA forged upper
    8" MAS Defense Stainless 1x8 .300 Blackout pistol barrel
    MAS Flash can (Noveske Pig clone)
    87 Industries pinned gas block
    YHM 9" Diamond FF rail
    Rainier Arms NiB M16 BCG
    Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle
    Magpul OD green XTM rail covers
    Magpul OD green AFG
    Magpul MBUS
    ".300 AAC Blackout" laser etched dust cover
    *Aimpoint won't be seeing any time on the gun, just decided to throw it on for the picture. It'll be getting an Eotech XPS2.

Lower:
    PSA forged lower with LPK
    Magpul OD green K2 grip
    Magpul OD green trigger guard
    Magpul B.A.D. lever
    Tapco receiver end plate/sling mount (staked)
    7075 6-pos buffer tube
    Spikes ST-T2 buffer/carbine spring
    Thordsen Customs buffer tube cover and saddle adapter
    CAA stock saddle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NH_FED; 12-10-14 at 23:12. Reason: Updated parts list.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Never mind...
    Last edited by Bluto; 03-01-14 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Never mind...
    OK then...

Feedback Score
    Why did you choose this setup?

Feedback Score
    Are you asking why did I use these specific parts? Or why did I build it as a pistol? Why did I choose this caliber?

This is my first pistol build and I really wanted a small PDW setup. 5.56 loses a lot of it's energy with a barrel this short, whereas the 300 Black really shines in a short barrel. A lot of the big items I had laying around the parts bin. I already had the stripped upper and lower, BCG, spare LPK, an extra buffer tube, BUIS, etc. I ended up with the barrel because I really couldn't find anything else available in a short length at the time. It's actually a very nicely finished off barrel and it was on sale for $149. The rail I picked up from a good friend of mine that was moving some items around and he gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. As for how/why I decided to use the 300 Blackout, I have 8 other AR rifles all chambered in 5.56 with the exception of my 18" SPR which is chambered in .223 Wylde. I wanted something different, something small, and something very maneuverable. This fits the bill.

Feedback Score
    That is sweet and I plan on building a very similar gun for my second AR. I am just getting all my parts for my first build so I have a little while until my second but a .300 pistol is what I am going to build.

Please post a range video when you get a chance.

Feedback Score
    Update:
    I had a chance to hit the range last week and test this thing out. I was shooting 147gr FMJ ammo from Ozark Ordnance and it ran great. There was still 2 feet of snow on the ground which made things difficult, namely picking up my brass. I'll be heading back to range on Monday following Easter and I'll bring my GoPro to take some video and pictures (battery was dead this time around). I'm going to try a spare Spikes ST-T2 buffer in place of the standard carbine buffer, my brass was landing roughly 15' from where I was shooting from.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I am curious as to how you picked your components? Were you just buying whatever parts were the cheapest? Did you do any research into how to build it? Are you familiar with gas ports/operating systems and how it affects buffer selection? What did this set up cost you?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Since this build was more of a "recreational" build for me, I did try and keep the cost down to an extent (Duty rifle is Colt M4). I forgot to add in my update that I switched out the Ice Arms gas block (which was a budget purchase) for an 87 Industries pinned gas block. I'm familiar with the effects of gas port sizes and buffer weights. As for the assembly itself, this is my 9th AR build this year and not my first from scratch. My grand total as it sits now is roughly $1,0XX. Which parts do you question?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How do you like the MAS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast