Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's path away from the 1911

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hilton Yam's path away from the 1911

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631#comments

Hard to argue with his points.
    Last edited by Amp Mangum; 03-04-14 at 11:27.
    I treat my lawnmower better than I treat my 1911.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yeah I saw this yesterday. I think he makes sense and I'm a 1911 guy...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp Mangum View Post
    He's not really saying anything he's not been saying for a long time, and he was an early adopter of the M&P. His was one reason among many I left my beloved 1911s for the M&P platform. He, like LAV, and a number of highly experienced and knowledgeable people have been saying similar for a long time, but few seemed to actually be listening. Yam seems to have now really gone into detail on this topic, but he's been saying exactly that for a long long time as have others who know 1911s as few others do. Good read.

This comment made me LOL as I know a few from that agency:

"One agency with whom I had a close relationship required some assistance getting their fleet of Kimber 1911s running correctly. Fast forward 4 years and a lot of visits and phone calls to help troubleshoot broken down guns, and I was eventually able to convince this agency to discontinue the use of their team 1911s and have the team use the M&P issued to the rest of the agency."
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-04-14 at 12:06.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As one of the few people who have shot 1911 frames (plural) to failure, and when he took a step back from running .45ACP to keep his tendons in tact - I'm not surprised in the least.

It only took 80 years to really start making the 1911 design obsolete, and only now are there truly superior options being readily available, but the 1911 will continue to be a great competition pistol, and for shooters like me a handy crutch sidearm when I need some accuracy at the expense of being lightweight and holding a more reasonably quantity of rounds, and thanks to anti-gun imbeciles, the 1911 is still a viable self defense platform for full sized handguns because the magazine capacity advantage of double stack pistols in those states is negated. If it weren't for ban state business and IPSC classes virtually designed to favor the 1911, we'd have probably let the 1911 design have a nice send-off before the 100th anniversary.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't disagree with his points, yet I won't be getting rid of anything in the safe because of them. Still love the 1911 more than any other pistol... Have not yet run one in a class when 10 rounds would be truly limiting, but I can always bring a Glock for that.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    I was about to become angry, then (not being the sharpest knife in the drawer) I realized that my EDC was a G30, for exactly the same reasons he stated. It's a bitch getting old, don't seem to concentrate as well as I "oh, look there's a butterfly.
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    I will always hang on to my two Colt 1911s but I admit most of my pistol shooting and carrying is done with a Glock 19 and an old P228 SIG.

I don't ever see carrying a 5" 1911 concealed ever again.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score

Cool

I'm not a casual user of the 1911 and (at the age of 66) I don't intend to stop using one now. No disrespect to Mr. Yam but his repeating of what I already knew changes nothing for me. I shoot 1911s well, I am able to maintain them with no problem and "plastic pistols" have no soul. Other than that, carry on!
    And since this is, after all, the 1911 section of this forum, some Colt eye candy.

Last edited by wetidlerjr; 03-04-14 at 17:48.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Frankly, the only thing interesting about Hilton, for me at least, was the fact that he continued to champion the 1911. Now I guess he is just a sight peddler.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    "I no longer need the 1911 as a crutch"

interesting sentiment
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast