Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's path away from the 1911

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    It is funny that you say this. I was just at Pannones Vehicle ops class. At one part of the class, you had to fire somewhere around 8-10 shots through the front windshield in order to create a hole through the glass and get hits on target. With a single stack weapon (7-8rds) you would be empty and need to do an E-reload (while inside your car and in the middle of a gunfight).
    In this situation, you'd pretty much be boned with either of this forum's other two favorite 45s (the M&P45 and the HK45/HK45C). Or if you lived in - or were passing through or visiting - a ban state or in the event of a hypothetical no-grandfather AWB or magazine ban.

Quote Originally Posted by blriehl View Post
    And that right there, aside from the price for the ticket, is the real downside to the 1911. Magazine capacity. It well and truly sucks compared with a P30 or G17.
    Perhaps the solution is to carry a 1911 but have a G17 or P30 (or other similar pistol) as a "truck gun".

Although frankly, if I were in a situation where I had to shoot through my front windshield to make a window to shoot through... I think I'd want something like an 8" bbl 300BLK... or an MP5K.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Sounds like a .357 SIG Glock with +2 baseplates for this kind of work. And earplugs.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Was just thinking about my 226 in 357.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    www.blackfireeng.com
    Bill's Random Thoughts Blog
    Shoots for fun, does not engage in internet slap fights.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Sounds like a .357 SIG Glock with +2 baseplates for this kind of work. And earplugs.
    I'd think the 22-round G22 mags would be a better option. Or do they not work well with the 357?

OT: Damn you all! I started carrying my Nighthawk again. More comfortable and more concealable than my G17. Both carried IWB in a Comp-Tac Minotaur. And the NHC has the one-price MSH with extended, beveled mag well. (G17 will still get to ride shotgun in the car, though. Maybe I'll load up one of my mags with a TTI extension....)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    In this situation, you'd pretty much be boned with either of this forum's other two favorite 45s (the M&P45 and the HK45/HK45C). Or if you lived in - or were passing through or visiting - a ban state or in the event of a hypothetical no-grandfather AWB or magazine ban.

Perhaps the solution is to carry a 1911 but have a G17 or P30 (or other similar pistol) as a "truck gun".

Although frankly, if I were in a situation where I had to shoot through my front windshield to make a window to shoot through... I think I'd want something like an 8" bbl 300BLK... or an MP5K.
    10rds would be slightly better, but still at a disadvantage.

It is LOUD in the car with a HG. It is BREATHTAKING in a car with an SBR. You would be deaf for sure.

C4

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    10rds would be slightly better, but still at a disadvantage.

It is LOUD in the car with a HG. It is BREATHTAKING in a car with an SBR. You would be deaf for sure.

C4
    I think they make a can for that.

- Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I think they make a can for that.

A 10.5" SBR with a SF can is nearly 16 inches. This is pretty difficult to maneuver in the vehicle (which is what I ran).

C4

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    It is funny that you say this. I was just at Pannones Vehicle ops class. At one part of the class, you had to fire somewhere around 8-10 shots through the front windshield in order to create a hole through the glass and get hits on target. With a single stack weapon (7-8rds) you would be empty and need to do an E-reload (while inside your car and in the middle of a gunfight).

Note; there were 17 students in this class. No 1911's present.

C4
    So why not just open the door and get out of the car? Then you'd have 9 rounds in the 1911 to sling at the bad guy.

Seems that whould be preferred to sitting stationary, not moving, while blasting away. What happens after you've shot your 8-10 rds creating a hole to shoot through the windshield, then the bad guy steps three feet to the right out of your hole's line of sight? Start over again and create a new hole?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    So why not just open the door and get out of the car? Then you'd have 9 rounds in the 1911 to sling at the bad guy.

Seems that whould be preferred to sitting stationary, not moving, while blasting away. What happens after you've shot your 8-10 rds creating a hole to shoot through the windshield, then the bad guy steps three feet to the right out of your hole's line of sight? Start over again and create a new hole?
    In some instances, that IS what you do. In other instances, no.

I suggest you take the class so you can better learn what to do.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In what non-warzone environment would it be a good idea to shoot a hole through a windshield in order to create a shooting lane toward a target? First of all, you are liable for every round that comes out of your pistol. Shooting blindly into a windshield to create a hole is completely irresponsible. Second, if you have to shoot a threat through a windshield, whether shooting into or out of a vehicle, modern service ammo does a fine job of doing his while still retaining the ability to hit a soft target and penetrate 12-18" with some Jhp expansion. You dont have to shoot a hole out in order to get good terminal ballistic performance. If you have time to sit in the car and shoot a hole out of the windshield, you should be un-assing the car and finding some real hard cover.

Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast