Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's path away from the 1911

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    Hot chicks don't stay hot forever, but the maintenance never ends.
    Good stuff,

Regarding custom guns and knives, (and women) I've said that looking pretty doesn't make them any better, but it does mean you might want to hold them more often

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Good stuff,

Regarding custom guns and knives, (and women) I've said that looking pretty doesn't make them any better, but it does mean you might want to hold them more often
    Best post in this thread. I like those custom women you hang around with

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    So, as far as I can tell from what I am reading here, Vickers, Hackathorn and Yam have finally caught-up to James Yeager's thinking on handguns.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    So, as far as I can tell from what I am reading here, Vickers, Hackathorn and Yam have finally caught-up to James Yeager's thinking on handguns.
    That realization certainly won't come without it's own controversies......

Feedback Score
    Regardless of who says what, until something truly does it better for me-I ll stay with with my 1911s. Mine have been glock reliable without the parts breakages and recalls. If I want capacity and give up concealment those options exist too. Like the AR platform. Been around along time but for my needs there is no reason to leave it yet. My experiences. And mine matter the most to me.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    It has a hammer which IMO is a mechanical advantage (gives the slide something else to overcome which absorbs recoil, and is provides theoretically more reliable ignition).
    Until you get your shirt caught between the hammer and the firing pin. (Haven't done it myself, but I've known folks who have.)

Quote Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
    You'll note a particular aspect of your study that's critical. The test you cited is SUV vs "CAR" not minivan. A Honda Fit is not a Honda Odyssey. I would very much agree a SUV will beat a car as the same IIHS studies indicate the same thing. It's the minivan I cited, not a car. When you research, make sure you cite "minivan".

I checked a 2014 guide on the issue I found today and the most current IIHS study specific to minivans and SUVs was 2011. It did cite that SUV's with stability control. Are now better, and better then cars or PU's like you cited......but still not as safe as minivans, here's the relevant quote:

"It bears noting, however, that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported in June 2011 that SUVs are now safer than cars overall, even when comparing vehicles of similar weight. Real-world fatality data for 2005-2008 models reveal 28 driver deaths per million registered SUVs. There were 56 car driver deaths and 52 pickup driver deaths per million for the same period. Minivans were the safest with 25 driver deaths per million registered vehicles. Though SUVs technically have a higher center of gravity than cars, electronic stability systems can prevent some of the conditions that lead to rollovers, so the greatest historical strike against them has been mitigated."
    I had a thought this morning while walking my dog…

Are we talking about safety or reliability and durability including under less than ideal conditions?

There aren't very many folks who feel that any single action-only pistol is safer than a striker-fired pistol or a double-action pistol or revolver. Although that's not a comparison anybody has been making.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Until you get your shirt caught between the hammer and the firing pin. (Haven't done it myself, but I've known folks who have.)
    How does that even happen? I lift my shirt with my left hand then bring it to support position.
    I usually carry 4 o'clock OWB with a shirt covering it, and a jacket on.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    James Yeager's thinking about handguns is that anybody who shoots anything other than a Glock for any reason is retarded, then he backpedals in front of people who carry anything different. Contrast his "1911s suck" video and it's attitude with his WC video.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Somebody left the 1911 platform? -somebody is a tad late to the party!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post

I had a thought this morning while walking my dog…

Are we talking about safety or reliability and durability including under less than ideal conditions?

There aren't very many folks who feel that any single action-only pistol is safer than a striker-fired pistol or a double-action pistol or revolver. Although that's not a comparison anybody has been making.
    Not going to lie. I have no problem at all carrying a glock or other striker fired gun pointed at my junk,I do not carry a 1911 cocked and locked and pointed at my junk. With a 1911 hammer cocked and locked, the potential energy stored in the hammer spring gives me enough pause not to point it at my junk.

Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast