Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's path away from the 1911

Feedback Score
    I really feel this "crutch" stuff is overused. If you suck shooting a pistol you may suck a little less with a 1911 but you still suck.

Pistol shooting is a strength of mine. My M&P 45 is as accurate as a my stock 1911 and I shoot it just as well. When I put an Apex FSS and good sites on it, it was easier to shoot well. The good shots that I know shoot any pistol better than most people. I don't call enhancements or ergonomics a "crutch"

I retired my 1911 from serious use because of the maintenance
    Last edited by OldState; 03-04-14 at 18:22.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I'm not a casual user of the 1911 and (at the age of 66) I don't intend to stop using one now. No disrespect to Mr. Yam but his repeating of what I already knew changes nothing for me. I shoot 1911s well, I am able to maintain them with no problem and "plastic pistols" have no soul. Other than that, carry on!
    And since this is, after all, the 1911 section of this forum, some Colt eye candy.

DAMM, Aint Nutn Prettier! than a 1911 AND Nutn UGLIER than a Glock. Kinda like Kate Upton compared to a Wart Hog!

I guess I must believe the experts, they have MUCH more experience than I do, but there is just something about a 1911, that will always be near and dear to my heart. With that said, I did get a G-gun when they first came out, and as much as I tried to hate it and make it fail, I could not do it. I have never had any issues with the 1911 either, but I do not have near the experience of the Guru's.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    All the reasons why I've given up on my 1911's for serious use. I've also found I can shoot a M&P almost as well as my 1911's.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I always find it odd that people call the 1911 "a crutch." Basically, a 1911 is easy to shoot well. I want the gun that is easiest to shoot well--otherwise I shoot my scandium J-frame.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I always find it odd that people call the 1911 "a crutch." Basically, a 1911 is easy to shoot well. I want the gun that is easiest to shoot well--otherwise I shoot my scandium J-frame.
    I couldn't agree more.

Feedback Score
    I have carried HKs and Glocks for 20+ years and while Mr. Yam makes some valid points based on outfitting and supporting an agency pool perspective, I have no intention of retiring my 1911s anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    "I no longer need the 1911 as a crutch"
    interesting sentiment
    Anyone that carries any weapon as a crutch has more problems than ANY type of pistol of can solve.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One of the things I have never figured out is how come someone cannot design a new type of gun with an updated firing mechanism, while still maintaining the 1911 form factor. I shoot both a Wilson 1911 and I have a few m&p's that are good shooters also. It's the closest thing to a 1911 in terms of feel to me. Even when we mod our gun, it will start to take on the aura of a 1911, which is funny when you go to USPSA matches and see the glocks that could pass as a 1911 from a distance.

While plastic guns have no soul, they are a great choice. Easy to work on and cheap to fix. Put a forward sear trigger in one and it shoots great, but again we are moving towards the 1911 platform again. I will never willingly stop shooting a 1911 unless in the next year or two they release a DL-44 pistol.

In reality I would like a pistol that looks exactly like a 1911, feels like a 1911, updated firing mech, and shoots as well as a 1911. In a plastic form factor of course. These would sell in the billions !!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    Anyone that carries any weapon as a crutch has more problems than ANY type of pistol of can solve.
    Yes and no - I can make quick accurate hits to 15yds pretty well with my 9mm Shield from a variety of positions - and those same hits at 25yd with my nicer 1911's. I consider the 1911 performance a crutch in the sense that I shoot those 5-10% more accurately than any other platform at slightly longer ranges, and at the edge of softball throwing distances, the 1911's are noticeably easier for me to shoot.

This is less the case with pimped out S&W M&P full size units - the Apex FSS kit, some upgraded sights, and a barrel that shoots well, I can shoot that as well as my 1911's, thought partly because I can afford to put twice as many rounds down the pipe practicing. You'd think this configuration would sell in the millions, but S&W shipped a kinda lame barrel at release for the pistol, the FSS kit is expensive and hard for end-user install, and by the time a good set of sights have been added, this is an $800 pistol and in the price range of some very respectable basic 1911's, so it doesn't sell in quantity.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any agency that picks a Kimber as their primary gets what they deserve.

There is NO manufacturer today that builds an M1911A1 to United States military drawings and MILSPEC inspection and acceptance standard.

There are dozens of fine 9mm service pistols available to outfit small outfits to huge organizations (like armies). None is perfect.

M1911s are far from perfect. They are far from being plain shit as well. The design has lasted as long as it has because it CAN be remarkably well-suited to combat, for training and consistency, and for its ability to be customized.

It wouldn't be the biggest seller in the US and many places in the world (still in production) if it didn't sell.

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast