Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's path away from the 1911

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    I shot a stock 6920 for a year, took it through 4 days of Tigerswan and did fine.

Did the same with a stock Glock.

I shoot any of that junk anymore because better triggers, better ergos, and better mechanical accuracy is better.

Reliability has not suffered because I learned how to maintain my stuff. AR and 1911. Neither are difficult by any means.

IG has a sticky on 'tuning the gun', referencing ARs. Maybe you should sticky how to get a Glock to run right, or rebuild an M&P into a decent pistol.
    I can shoot a Glock or an M&P as well as a 1911. In fact, I thank GOD that my early M&P had ZERO tactile reset. Why? Because it taught me the difference between trigger reset and trigger recovery. What is funny is there are thousands of threads of people bitching about the lack of reset. Little did they know that the gun was actually making them a better all around shooter.

I am all for tuning guns (as long as you know WHY you are doing what you are doing). Having run BONE stock Glock's and M&P's for many years, they really don't need a single thing done to them. With that said, about 30% of Glock (IMHO) exhibit brass to the face. There are some cheap after market parts that seem to fix it more than half the time (apex tactical FRE).

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Is the trigger "shitty" because it doesn't let you get away with slapping the hell out of it?

•Shoots .45 ACP Almost as obsolete as the 1911 itself. Check out Gold Dots, HSTs, and Ranger-Ts; in 9x19.
    •Is more accurate Get a fitted barrel for a Glock or M&P. HK45 is also reported to be as accurate as semi-custom 1911s out of the box.
    •Has a sweeter trigger Apex FSS
    •Is full-size and is more easily concealable Has more to do with holster selection. Glock 19.
    •Has more parts and accessories available for it Probably Glock and M&P.

I don't think anyone is trying to really convince you. We're just having a discussion. If you want to bet your life to a 1911, why would I care?

At the end of the day, I hope you spend your money on ammo and training. That's what really matters.
    Are you assuming that 1911 shooters are notorious trigger slappers? I guess this lines up with the mentality that the 1911 trigger is a crutch. Yeah, I guess 1911 enthusiasts are just a bunch of undisciplined trigger slobs. Just awful.

Your answers to my bullet points are all over map. I have "checked out" Gold Dots, HSTs, and Ranger-Ts. I've carried them all in 9x19mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP guns. The 1911 and .45 ACP are obsolete, are they? OK. Thank you for enlightening us. Why don't YOU check out a click-fit Bar-Sto barrel with hand-fit thick bushing installed by Dave Severns in a Dan Wesson Valor? Compare it to any pistol you want in a Ransom Rest. Let us know the results. Actually, I'd be happy to have you take my stock Valor and compare it to any pistol of your choice, for group sizes out of a Ransom Rest.

You cited the Glock 19 in the concealability category. Yes, that's a concealable gun, but it's not a .45 and it's not a full-size pistol. It's a mid-size 9mm. I frequently carry a Glock 23 in an Occidental Phoenix Stronghold IWB (similar models now available at TT Gunleather). I think I understand holster selection adequately.

Glocks have lots of parts and accessories available for them, sure. M&Ps not so much. Neither have more choices out there than what's available for 1911s.

I'm sure plenty of us THINK we shoot one gun as well as another. All I can say to that is: maku mozo.
    Last edited by GunBugBit; 04-07-14 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I think it's too wide of a spectrum. A lot of it depends on the person or unit. Some people, some units get by great with 1911s; some don't. Depends on the guys in the unit, depends on the mission etc. Guys on the FBI HRT or LAPD SWAT do fine with 1911s; works for them. Is it the best choice as an issue gun across an agency? Probably not, but for certain units; sure, it can be a great choice. Same for individuals. It's a great choice for some; not so much for others. I said earlier and I'll state again, I like a lot of different pistols. I see nothing wrong with a good 1911 or a Sig P226 or Glock 19 or Beretta 92 or CZ75B etc etc. They all have their benefits and detriments; whichever one works for the individual or unit is the right choice. I like them all and don't see a great need to limit myself to one or the other. But then again I don't think Glock 19 or 9mm is the answer to every handgun question. Sometimes the answer is .45 acp or .40 S&W or 1911 or HK or....
    This statement is the best summary of the whole discussion since I've been reading this thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shoot what you like and depend on whatever you are most proficient with, be it a 1911 or a polymer wonder pistol. Just make sure to maintain whatever you choose regularly and to practice regularly as well. Simple enough?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Shoot what you like and depend on whatever you are most proficient with, be it a 1911 or a polymer wonder pistol. Just make sure to maintain whatever you choose regularly and to practice regularly as well. Simple enough?
    Too simple. That is why it is ignored.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    How well does your basic Colt Series 70 run?
    With better sights, and grips it should run fine.

Know what else needs better sights, and grip modifications?

Everything.

I've said it before, and it should be mentioned again:

A Colt S70 repro in 5'' .45ACP with Wilson ETM magazines, and good ammunition is probably one of the most reliable handgun configurations that has ever existed.

The only pistols that are in production right now that are honestly as/more reliable, and equally accurate from factory have HK, Beretta, or CZ printed on the side of them.

And in .45? Only an HK.

Nothing else comes close, in my opinion.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    The problem with this is that people on the Hi-Point forum and the Olympic Arms forum WILL TELL YOU that those guns are "just as good" as (insert any other brand here). Are they correct in their thinking or should they listen to more knowledgeable people?

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    With better sights, and grips it should run fine.

Know what else needs better sights, and grip modifications?

Everything.

I've said it before, and it should be mentioned again:

A Colt S70 repro in 5'' .45ACP with Wilson ETM magazines, and good ammunition is probably one of the most reliable handgun configurations that has ever existed.

The only pistols that are in production right now that are honestly as/more reliable, and equally accurate from factory have HK, Beretta, or CZ printed on the side of them.

And in .45? Only an HK.

Nothing else comes close, in my opinion.
    Had a 1911 gunsmith in my shop the other day. He had received 5 new Colt 1911's. None of them ran (all needed work). For me, I love Colt 1911's, but I view them as a "work in progress."

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 04-09-14 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Had a 1911 gunsmith in my shop the other day. He had received 5 new Colt 1911's. None of them ran (all needed work). For me, I love Colt 1911, but I view them as a "work in progress."

C4
    That's weird. What was wrong with 'em?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    That's weird. What was wrong with 'em?
    All kinds of things. Some of it cosmetic, but at the end of the day, they were not reliable.

C4

Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast