Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon Clip conversion for J Frame?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Moon Clip conversion for J Frame?

Hello all,

I am thinking about have a Moon Clip conversion done to both of my J Frame Smith and Wessons (M&P 340PD and 640-1). The 640-1 has already had work done on it by Mark at Gemini Custom. I had the full house done on it except barrel porting and the Moon Clip conversion. What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why are you contemplating the moon clip conversion? Is it for faster speed loads? Will the moon clips be just as easy or more difficult to conceal than a Safariland speed loader? Will you have to wear a special pouch to prevent bending loaded moon clips?

I know you were looking for advice, but I carry a J Frame daily and am curious to know your reasons for considering the conversion.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I carry my M&P 340 CT every day as my back up gun on duty and primary off duty. This gun goes everywhere with me including Church. I carry speed strips with me now and also speedloaders. I do think moon clips would be a little faster,but yes I would have to carry a pouch for them. I carry a pouch sometimes on my belt and sometimes my shoulder holster.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    With the Moon Clip conversion I will have the option to use them or load the regular way. So a little more versatile I guess.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi JeremyW,

Here are my thoughts. I prefer having my J-frame cylinder machined for moonclips. If done properly, like you said, you can always use speed loaders or even speed strips. The most critical reason for me is that under stress, I can ensure that all the spent cases are extracted from the cylinder should I need to perform an emergency reload. In low light or no light situations, or even in daylight, I have seen spent cases bypass the extractor star and get trapped underneath. In low light, it is easy to miss the offending case until you try to reload the cylinder and close it.

Having all five cases contained by the moonclip, there is virtually no chance of any case getting trapped- All five (assuming it is a .38/.357 j-frame) cases will be removed. I have trained regularly with my J-frame in low light/ flashlight classes and Murphy is alive and well.

These are just my opinions, but they are based upon personal experience.

-Randy
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    My only issue when I had a J-frame tbat required moon clips was carrying them. I did not want a belt pouch as I had to really keep the gun and extra ammo concealed. The moon clips got dropped in my pocket and did not seem as hardy as HKS speed loaders in the pocket. I did not have the option of using anything else than the clips. If your conversion will allow the use of conventional strips or loaders, then I would agree that it might be a useful modification.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Smith 442 Pro and agree with Randy. The 1 7/8" bbl doesn't give the extractor much room in punching out the spent cases. Normally the 442 is my pocket gun with a speed strip or two in the rear back pocket. Moon clips I carry on the belt if I use a OWB holster or drop in a jacket pocket. TK Custom will also machine the rear of your revolver for moon clips and they make those for S&W. You also have the option of just using loose rounds.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Randy Lee,

I hadn't considered the benefit of ejecting rounds via the Moon Clip. That is a very good point. Also, I don't find carrying a pouch on my belt to be a big deal. I usually wear baggie clothing off duty. I did hear that TK Custom makes the best Moon Clip and that they are more robust and not prone to bending as much.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi Jeremy,

Tom makes EDM cut moonclips. By using this method, the clips are more consistent and they tend to hold the cartridges more consistently without excess wobble.

Also, check out these as a way to prevent moonclip abuse: http://www.moonclips.com/cart/shopdi...oncealed+Carry

-Randy
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    If you have played with speedloaders and J-frames much, you know there isn't a lot of room, especially with 357s to get things lined up.

We have taken to sanding flats on our Comp-I loaders (making them look abit like a pentagon) to see if that would help.

Moon clips seem like a simpler way to go since no additional clearance is needed for the body of the loader and no risk of a shell being trapped under the star.

The down side of moon clips with 38 or 357 brass is that they are often thin (like .020" or .022" or .025" thick) and more susceptible to being bent than for a 45ACP.
    Also the groove is not a uniform size from one brand of ammo to another because, unlike an auto cartridge, revolver brass doesn't have to be consistent or generous like for a claw extractor. One clip thickness might only fit a few brands of brass well otherwise they are floppy and can spit out a cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast