Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum 44MAG

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If it's free, get the Scandium gun, and if you can't handle the recoil sell it and buy the 69. You'll come ahead in the end.[QUOTE=CRT2;1881774]
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    need knowledgable info needed.

trying to make a decision for a fishing/ bear gun. s&w owes me,gun from rock castle last year. i can have either.
    no cost to me.
    the new mod-69 or the titanium-329. i want a lt wt, carry a lot,shoot little, bear gun when i go out west.\
    WHY ??? short fat guys have NO CHANCE in waders in a river againest a hungry/momma bear.

which gun: only 2 options i am interested in are the 329-4" titanium,or the model 69-4-1/4" i dont really like long 4-1/4 bbls on a gun but i will have it shortened to 3-1/2 form a known gun smith. 4" in lt wt doesnt bother me.

someone with "bear gun experience", i have to make a decision asap as s&w are pushing me, as they want it off their books.

The 329PD weighs 25.1 oz and the 69 weighs 37.2. The appropriate question is how tolerant are you of felt recoil? The recoil with the 329 PD is not pleasant, with the 69 tolerable.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I had a chance to handle one of these yesterday. I was impressed.

Now, which kidney do I sell?
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    I bought mine last week. Shot about 60 rounds through it in two sessions. Point of impact is 4" high at 25 yards, and 9" high at 50 yards, with the rear sight bottomed out. It's going back to S&W, with note telling them what I think of their new "two-piece barrel" (it's actually a one-piece barrel tube with a shroud containing the sight and ejector rod housing apparently glued over it).

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Beautiful!!!
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Magnum wheelgats make me moist. Congrats on the purchase

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Mcarthy
    I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is- I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up
    Quote Originally Posted by Serialmonagamist
    There's no need to shoot a bear over a bluff charge, for the same reason you don't shoot every douchebag you see in a Tapout shirt.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    MANGUN
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USG View Post
    I bought mine last week. Shot about 60 rounds through it in two sessions. Point of impact is 4" high at 25 yards, and 9" high at 50 yards, with the rear sight bottomed out. It's going back to S&W, with note telling them what I think of their new "two-piece barrel" (it's actually a one-piece barrel tube with a shroud containing the sight and ejector rod housing apparently glued over it).
    Has nothing to do with the barrel.

Big bore revolvers recoil enough before the bullet can leave the barrel that point of impact can and will be high if the front sight is not tall enough. This will be exacerbated when shooting heavy bullets that are moving slower. The smaller and lighter the gun is, the more pronounced this phenomenon is going to be. I can't tell you what load S&W has in mind for this revolver but if it is a fast moving 180gr pill, and you were shooting 300gr bullets or even 240gr bullets your results sound pretty typical.

I experience this with my Freedom Arms .454 Casull, this revolver fortunately is equipped with easily interchangeable front sights so you can make your elevation adjustment both on the rear sight and front sight. When I shoot 325-360gr bullets even at relatively high speeds I install a taller front sight. My revolver has a front sight that is .380" tall stock, which works well with 240-300gr bullets and I purchased a .430" tall front sight for 325-360gr bullets and it works very well. In fact by adjusting the loads, I can change zero without much rear sight adjustment at all by just changing out front sight blades. I might have to go back to irons in this gun, they are superb iron sights.

When you send it back to S&W see if they offer a taller front sight or if they can do some custom work to make the front sight base take inserts. It will greatly increase the versatility of your revolver.

Feedback Score
    Coal Dragger covered this well. The front sight on the model 69 looks pinned. Find an after market sight that is taller and your problem is solved. It's not difficult to change these sights out yourself.

Feedback Score
    I would call Smith & Wesson and see if they make a taller front sight, if it is pinned like most of their other revolvers (forgot about that!) then it should be pretty simple to correct this without even sending the gun back. Just have them send you a taller front sight, or go aftermarket.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm curious to hear how that one fellow is going to cut a two piece barrel down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast