Thread: Can you purchase an "other" out-of-state?

Feedback Score

Can you purchase an "other" out-of-state?

If I find a lower receiver out of state at a fair price, can I purchase it as "other" vice "pistol" or "rifle" on my forms? Pistol sales are not legal out-of-state, rifle sales are, but what about "other?"

I travel a great deal, and frequent shops. If I find a great deal on a receiver, I'd like to pick it up without having to choose on the spot about whether I want to build it into a pistol or rifle.

Thanks,
    -Seph

Feedback Score
    If it's never been a pistol or rifle it should be listed as "other". Still have to be 21 or over to buy it. I've bought several from out of state.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 87seph View Post
    If I find a lower receiver out of state at a fair price, can I purchase it as "other" vice "pistol" or "rifle" on my forms? Pistol sales are not legal out-of-state, rifle sales are, but what about "other?"

I travel a great deal, and frequent shops. If I find a great deal on a receiver, I'd like to pick it up without having to choose on the spot about whether I want to build it into a pistol or rifle.

Thanks,
    -Seph
    Un necessary hassle IMO. I doubt you will find a better deal on a stripped lower in a shop then online. Receivers are one of those things not worth the time and effort to deal with out of state imo.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87seph View Post

Thanks,
    -Seph
    You can purchase any firearm anywhere. Just have it sent to an FFL in your home state just like if you bought it over the internet. If you want an FFL that's not located in your state of residence to transfer a firearm directly to you, then it has to be either a rifle or a shotgun. It's not that handguns are illegal to transfer like that, it's that all firearms are illegal to transfer like that. Then an exception was made for rifles and shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 USC 922
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you're not in your home state then the FFL cannot transfer the "other" to you. They can ship it to an FFL in your state and then it can be trasnferred to you. "Other's" are treated like handguns.
    Police work: If it were easy it would be called your mom.