Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Tavor, a true successor to the ar15?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTL BRN View Post
    When I had my Tavor I only encountered one malfunction (failure to feed), it was while using Wolf (steel case) .223 and a Lancer mag; I attribute it to the friction of the steel case and feedlips of the magazine. In total I had well over 1K rounds through it prior to selling.
    Mine has only had one issue through thousands of rounds (suppressed and unsuppressed) and it was with Brown Bear soft points getting stuck on the ramps. Other than that it's been flawless.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I really like the design, but I think availability of parts is the kicker. The M4 costs on average $600-$700 each for the military (iirc). I just don't see the Tavor price this low, even for a bulk contract.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    I really like the design, but I think availability of parts is the kicker. The M4 costs on average $600-$700 each for the military (iirc). I just don't see the Tavor price this low, even for a bulk contract.
    Maybe, but there is another way to look at it... the M4 is very modular, which is great bc you can customize it... but that also kills your pocketbook, especially when the temptation is to get the latest and greatest gismo & gadget every time for it. If we acknowledge that the tavor & m4 will both need a light & optic, now you look at what you are going to replace on the m4 that you probably won't touch on the tavor:

-rail(s)
    -quad rail or forend or something like the BCM keymod
    -maybe a vertical forend or hand stop
    -new stock

right there you immediately add around $300-400 right off the bat to your M4. Don't get me wrong, I have an m4 and love it, but I also really like the tavor
    Dr. Layne Norton

PhD Nutritional Sciences

www.biolayne.com

Handgun enthusiast

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BioLayne View Post
    Tavor is pretty picky with mags... but I've found that the troy mags function very well. gen 3 p mags also work well, but not gen 2
    Hmm..I don't think I've used any Gen 2 mags in it because they did not drop free when tested. Gen 3's work fine 30's and 40's. Brownell 30's have been fine, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    They can be found for $1700. That is not twice the price of a high end AR. It is about $600 more than a Colt 6920 and $200 less than a KAC SR15E3 mod1.

My concern with the Tavor is spare parts; as in there currently are none. Michael Kassnar at IWI USA mentioned on TOS that spare parts are coming. Time will tell, but I suspect spare parts will not be cheap. This is the same issue that prevents me from making any of my current imported rifles my primary go-to rifle.
    Buy 2 Tavors. One as your "go to" and the other as backup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BioLayne View Post
    some have with good results but others have said the trigger will occasionally fail to reset... being this is my home defense gun, that is not something I'm willing to risk, but it takes around 4 lb off the trigger
    Might as well buy the Geissele.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    And a relic of NFA laws in America.
    Even if we managed to get rid of the NFA, I'd still rather have a bullpup than a 10" SBR. I'll take 16" over 10".
    Last edited by Airman596; 05-01-14 at 05:40.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    The IWI Tavor is a great weapon system/platform.

I owned one and ran it in several advanced tactical carbine classes.

What I particularly appreciated about it was how quickly and easily it came up on target from low ready, or for that matter, down on target from high ready. The weight being heavy toward the rear makes it very easily to manipulate very quickly and accurately in close quarters, etc. Accuracy is great, no issues. Trigger? Guess it just takes some getting used to, but for shot within 300 meters, I found it to be no issue at all to get good hits on a man sized target into center mass.

Mag changes actually go quite quickly once you get a hang of it. You can find YouTube videos of people smoking through mag changes as quickly, if not more quickly, than anyone doing mag changes on the AR.

I did not like the relative difficulty of locking the bolt back/open, quickly.

I finally sold it because I realized I wanted to stick with the platform (AR15) that I have trained extensively with and felt that I'd rather go with a weapon platform that has such a huge selection of spare parts, etc. and thus is less expensive and more easy to maintain and keep running.

But the IWI Tavor is a simply superb rifle and weapon system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    They can be found for $1700. That is not twice the price of a high end AR. It is about $600 more than a Colt 6920 and $200 less than a KAC SR15E3 mod1.

My concern with the Tavor is spare parts; as in there currently are none. Michael Kassnar at IWI USA mentioned on TOS that spare parts are coming. Time will tell, but I suspect spare parts will not be cheap. This is the same issue that prevents me from making any of my current imported rifles my primary go-to rifle.
    I've also seen Tavor FDE going for $1500 at a local gun show, and even less online from private sellers.

IMO they are great bullpups, but nothing a good SBR from a reputable manufacturer (BCM, HK, DD, etc) can't do. I'd rather have a good SBR over the Tavor if I had to choose between the two. If money wasn't an issue though I'd buy a Tavor just to own one.

The biggest downfall IMHO of the Tavor is lack of support and parts commonality with AR/M4's. Price is a slight factor too. If they were offered in the $1k pricepoint more people would probably buy one.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 05-01-14 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I really fail to understand comments around parts commonality with the AR platform that continue to be mentioned in nearly every thread about rifles that aren't AR's.

My Garand's don't have parts commonality with AR's.....nor does my AK, SKS, M1 Carbine.....do I really need to go on?

Expecting a "new" rifle based on a new design to have parts commonality with AR's is just silly. If all you own are AR's fine, but I certainly hope anyone posting in this thread would have more diverse experience than just an AR.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast