Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavor, a true successor to the ar15?

Feedback Score
    Lol. Not even close.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ag08 View Post
    I loved its southpaw friendliness and the non-NFA, yet small package.
    This is where the Tavor really shines. Other than that, there is nothing earth shattering I see here that would even put a dent into the number of people currently favoring the AR system to switch.

Feedback Score
    Just like many thought the p90 was a replacement for the Mp5 and SBR'd AR's.

Not gonna happen. The AR is here to stay for at least another 10 years IMO. The Tavor doesn't really offer anything spectacular asides from being a bullpup. I know Geissele is working on a trigger for it, and MI makes a front keymod section which does show some signs of the Tavor gaining ground, but unless a zillion companies start producing parts for it, just gon't think it will get close.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    IIRC Israeli SF units have switched back to the M4.

The Tavor is a great rifle, and I think the best of the bullpups available until the DTA come out and lives up to expectations. But besides shorter OAL and non-nfa what does a bullpup truly gain? For urban/cqc I would rather have an adjustable length of pull MK18-ish rifle than a fixed length of pull bullpup, also the trigger will never be as good as a standard configuration rifle, even with the Timney or Geissele upgrade. Having owned a Tavor and shot it next to my SR15 it was immediately apparent which one is the superior platform, needless to say I have since sold my Tavor.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 03-08-14 at 22:44.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've heard so many times that something was going to kill the AR15 and then fade into effective nonexistence it isn't funny. I remember being told the Massada/ACR were going to be the demise of the AR15, after the first year of their introduction I don't think I've seen but a handful on shelves, most of the time you have to dig through a couple dozen ARs to get to them. Then it was the SCAR, and that thing is still trying to catch up to what is popular with the ARs though doing markedly better than the ACR it is still far behind. Then it was the Sig 556, and that failed. Then the Robinson Arms whatever the hell that was. Then it was the piston ARs were going to render my old antiquated DI gun obsolete and yet not so much, and I suppose they don't really count since a lot of parts are still the same. And then it was a handful of other rifles that were so much better than an AR15 and were going to CHANGE THE WORLD!!! Yet the AR15 is still here. The Tavor I admit is interesting, it is getting quicker aftermarket support than any of their predecessors which I like and applaud, and I hope it does well since it does intrigue me, then again I still want an AUG so what the hell do I know? Basically, as others have said, the aftermarket support, modularity, and availability of parts is going to mean the AR15 is going to be around for a long time. Of all the rifles mentioned, none that I can think of can you go out and build the rifle from a stripped lower. And even if you can get the receiver getting the remaining parts is going to be an issue. Building an AR15 currently, even with scares and everything isn't hard, even with high end parts, finding them is no problem. Also, I can generally build a quality AR for about half of what a Tavor, Aug, SCAR, ACR, and some of the other alleged AR replacements run. Hell, the BCM I build, with ACOG, DD Omega rail, M600ultra, total I have less than what it would cost to buy a new SCAR, and not much more than a new tavor.

I honestly don't think you are going to see a rifle supplant the AR15 in popularity and in the hands of shooters until either the military goes to something other than the M16/M4 family of weapons, or you see a rifle that has most if not all, or more/better features make a debut that is as reliable, ergonomic, modular, and is cheaper than an AR15 with aftermarket and parts support. If that happens then I would say it might overshadow the AR15, but again it would have to be more reliable, more ergonomic, more modular, more accurate, have more part and accessory options that were readily available, as well as aftermarket support, be more durable, and most of all be cheaper. While some of the contenders thus far have reached some of those goals, none have reached all, and their prices have generally meant that they can't touch the AR15 in popularity. Until a rifle comes along and does match or beat the AR15 in all those I doubt anything is going to put a dent in its title.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sf3pox1 View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing long term reports of the Tavor, and see how they turn out.
    In the Civi market there is no long term reports as of yet it's new to the US market, But this is a rifle that has been in service in Israel for over a decade...reports are out there are but are you willing to learn Hebrew to read them? And I'm sure one could find reports and photographs of Tavors that have already gone "kaboom" and the after affects on the rifle and user.

I can say one thing with near certainty, this isn't replacing a AR in active duty or my gun safe anytime soon. Maybe join, but not replace.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd rather shoot my Tavor than any of my other rifles. Will it replace the AR, probably not. There are too many ARs to replace. As many have said, the Tavor shines in the non-NFA role. I have no use for a suppressor, so that doesn't matter to me.

SamM

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    Not quite. Tavor is a quality and cool gun to boot.....but I wouldn't be selling an ars.....why would you sell them?
    I agree with TG and Endur. I like them, I think they're quality guns and fill a role . . . but the AR is like a small block Chevy. Parts are abundant and accessible for a reasonable price, it can be built up and customized 150 different ways and the AR is a pretty easy-to-shoot platform. The Tavor, not as much. IMO, the AR15 is here to stay for the foreseeable future as "America's Rifle". Funny thing, I think I remember people saying that the SCAR was going to be the successor to the AR and that hasn't worked out like people said it would.

That said, even with my skepticism of bullpup rifles, I still want one. But a Tavor (or any bullpup for that matter) won't be displacing any of my ARs.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Bullpups are a vestige of the Cold War. The bullpup configuration was a way to get the ballistics of a full sized rifle in a more compact package. This way airborne and mechanized troops would have guns that were less bulky than a rifle, but more effective than a subgun or carbine in the open plains of Europe.

Bullpups will always pale in comparison to the M4 based weapons in terms of ergonomics.

To me, the best use for a bullpup would be if I owned a huge ranch that I rode around on an ATV or horse all day. The nostalgic part of me would rather have a lever gun though.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    To me, the best use for a bullpup would be if I owned a huge ranch that I rode around on an ATV or horse all day. The nostalgic part of me would rather have a lever gun though.
    Of course you'd have to add a SA revolver in like caliber with a belt full of bullets to complete the picture. Man that would be cool for sure.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast