Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receivers: Forged vs. Billet?

Feedback Score

Receivers: Forged vs. Billet?

Title says it all. Which is superior? I've done a good deal of reading up on the subject and there doesn't seem to be a real definitive answer out there. Some say forged is stronger. However, guns like the HK416 utilize a billet receiver and there are no problems of any kind with it. Any thoughts?

Tspeis

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tspeis View Post
    Title says it all. Which is superior? I've done a good deal of reading up on the subject and there doesn't seem to be a real definitive answer out there. Some say forged is stronger. However, guns like the HK416 utilize a billet receiver and there are no problems of any kind with it. Any thoughts?

Tspeis

Forging's are stronger, but if it is properly hard anodized, I wouldn't have any concerns.

The issue I have with forged upper receiver is that they tend to be canted one way or another. While this matters not if you are using a dot optic, it comes into play when you are using magnified optic and looking for the most accuracy possible.

C4

Feedback Score
    Are forgings significantly stronger to the point that it makes a big difference?

Tspeis

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tspeis View Post
    Are forgings significantly stronger to the point that it makes a big difference?

Tspeis
    Not to me. The squareness and trueness of the rail is the most important to me.

C4

Feedback Score
    I realize this is sort of a necropost, but didn't feel it was worth a new topic.

Building of Tspeis's question, are forged receives significantly stronger on a functional level? If we had a billet receiver, would we have to be wary that it's not as durable/tough/whatever as a forged receiver?

-B

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I realize this is sort of a necropost, but didn't feel it was worth a new topic.

Building of Tspeis's question, are forged receives significantly stronger on a functional level? If we had a billet receiver, would we have to be wary that it's not as durable/tough/whatever as a forged receiver?

-B

If you are honestly worried about your upper receiver, go with the Vltor MUR, its the strongest upper receiver available.

If you are honestly worried about your lower receiver, stop worrying.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    i'm fuzzy on what problem we're solving. are we looking for stiffer uppers to enhance accuracy? or are we concerned about actually breaking/bending part of the upper?

if the latter, from my perspective, this thread would benefit greatly from first person accounts of breaking receivers

Feedback Score
    Isn't Vltor now forging the MUR? Any idea if they are as straight and true as the billet versions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Isn't Vltor now forging the MUR? Any idea if they are as straight and true as the billet versions?

IIRC, VLTOR is CNC machining a Forged Billet block which is very different than milling a conventional forging. Absolutely straight and true, plus a bit stronger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    If you are honestly worried about your upper receiver, go with the Vltor MUR, its the strongest upper receiver available.

If you are honestly worried about your lower receiver, stop worrying.
    Understood; the upper was the part that concerned me more, since the lower doesn't look like it takes much a beating from the operation of the gun. Worrying will cease.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast