Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unfortunate Squirrel - GRAPHIC PHOTO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Unfortunate Squirrel - GRAPHIC PHOTO

I have been waging a fight against the local Squirrel population since I moved into this house back in 2001. It's a constant fight to keep them out of my attic. In fact, when I screened in their entry point, the pest chewed it's way down one of my walls and promptly died near the bottom of my stairwell to my basement. For the past few summers I still smell the rotting carcass every time I walk down to my basement.

Well, I finally snapped!! I'm one of those individuals who likes to watch birds feed. All types of birds to include Woodpeckers, Finches, Hummingbirds, and others. Well yesterday, the local Squirrels discovered the feeder I have set up on a tree in my backyard. I have it placed so I can observe the birdies feed from my kitchen (I even have a 10x pair of binos on the window sill for it).

Unfortunately for the grey squirrels that inhabit my property, they're in season (until January 31st). So I grabbed my home-defense SBR (which I leave suppressed) and slapped in my Colt .22LR conversion kit. I loaded it with CCI Segmented HP Subsonic rounds and took a shot at the one that was raiding the woodpecker feeder (it's the block type that you put into a "cage"). He had chased away two others just as I got there. Well I missed!! I also missed the second shot when the little bugger came back about 10-minutes after my first shot chased him away.

This morning, I woke up and got the SBR ready. I looked out at the feeder and lo-and-behold, no squirrel!! So I went about making breakfast (toasted pan-de-sal and butter ). To my surprise, the feeder was gone!! I looked through the binos and it turns out that within the few minutes it took me to slice the Philippine rolls in half and stick it in the toaster, the little bugger snuck up and tore it down. The squirrel was at the base of the tree and eating away (amazing how their grey coat blends in with the tree bark).

I loaded the rifle and put on my shooting glasses and moved to my laundry room and slowly opened the door. Took aim at the pest and took the shot at about 18-yards. I heard the round hit the tree behind the squirrel and the squirrel go prone. I thought I had missed again when the bugger low-crawled around behind the tree (like I've seen them do before to avoid a second attempt). But since I never saw the squirrel E&E from behind the tree, I decided to take a closer look just in case I didn't miss.

Lo and behold one squirrel down (looks like I hit him low and broke his spine):

Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 01-07-09 at 12:58.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    (In Australian accent) That's not a graphic photo. THIS is a graphic photo 22-250 at almost 300 yards.

Good stuff, dude. I need a can for the Varmint Cong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree. I put the "graphic" warning for those who have very weak constitutions. I like using the can since I can shoot from inside my house without the need for any hearing protection plus my neighbors cannot hear any of the shots whatsoever.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    But since I never saw the squirrel E&E from behind the tree...
    Thanks for the laugh...

Feedback Score
    Great hunting there Carl, from one that has taken several raiding tree rats from the bird feeders in my back yard over the years...

Scott

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Now you need to hang his dead carcass in the tree so his buddies can see what their fate is!

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    Now you need to hang his dead carcass in the tree so his buddies can see what their fate is!
    Now THAT's "gettin' medieval!"

I ping their little asses in my back yard with a Red Ryder BB gun!
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Very nice rig! A suppressor is such a handy thing.

On an off-topic note, where do you find mags for your Colt conversion kit? I recently got a deal on an old one, but only have the one mag that came with it.

Best of luck with your tree rat battles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    I tought I had missed again when the bugger low-crawled around behind the tree (like I've seen them do before to avoid a second attempt).
    Under heavy fire he sought cover...now that is a well trained squirrel.

I wish I lived somewhere where I could shoot these rats from my back door.

BTW, thats a very nice SBR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    On an off-topic note, where do you find mags for your Colt conversion kit? I recently got a deal on an old one, but only have the one mag that came with it.
    I bought my second one at a Gun Show some years back. It was not functioning, until I took it apart and cleaned it.

I recently purchased Ceiner kit because it takes the BDM 25-round mags. I did see the Colt mags for sale on some website but cannot remember off-hand which one. There is also a thread somewhere that shows how someone modified the Colt conversion kit to accept the BDM mags though. But it requires quite a bit of work.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast