Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Defoor Mindset Video

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Kyle Defoor Mindset Video

In the other thread, we got into a good discussion about mindset and I wanted to split that discussion off so we could add more context.

For those that have not seen Mr. Defoor Mindset Video on YT, it is excellent. It is however a much watered down version from what you get in his class (which I highly recommend). Please take a moment to watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Let's break down the discussion into its main categories.

1. Why are you doing what you do? Or in other words, why do you carry a gun or have a gun available to you?

A. To Protect yourself? Protect your family? To be a responsible citizen?
    B. Be honest with yourself. Do you carry a gun because you thought it would be cool? To impress your friends, wife, etc?

C4

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Defoor hits on the points well. The value of a good mindset discussion is extremely high, and those that can deliver it well, like Kyle, are awesome instructors.

During the STG classes, Tom Kier talks mindset. If anyone gets a chance to attend its a very eye opening experince.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/05/aa...april.html?m=0

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    2. Thoughts, Words, Deeds and Habits.

A. Think about it (something you want to accomplish).
    B. Put it into words (tell people, verbalize it).
    C. Training (Learn how to do it).
    D. Practice (Repeat training until you have mastered it).

C4

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Only for family, specifically my wife and 2 daughters. I don't even carry when I'm alone. I have no intention of intervening in someone else's active shooter scenario. I hate to say that here too, but it's the truth. That's not to say that I would watch evil being done idly because I wouldn't; but I don't trust myself to intervene with a handgun at this juncture in my life. I'm working on it though as I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read "sometimes there is no justice, sometimes there is just us" and It made me feel inadequate and poser-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    I guess I carry to be a responsible citizen and just because I can. It's been instilled into my head since childhood that "it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". Carrying a G17 or G19 everyday is of virtually no inconvenience, so even if I don't need it, why not? I've only once felt that having a pistol would be a good idea, and it was before I turned 21 and had a CCW anyways (redneck with a bolt gun making threats). I tend to avoid areas where common problems (armed robbery, muggings, etc) would happen. Still, you never know, and "if not me then who?".

I don't think guns really impress anybody. It's what you can do with them that could impress someone, and I'm not at that level yet, nor do I really care about impressing anyone.

In fact, I didn't even start carrying all the time until I got a VG 2 and started appendix carrying. Granted that was only like six months after I got my license.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Only for family, specifically my wife and 2 daughters. I don't even carry when I'm alone. I have no intention of intervening in someone else's active shooter scenario. I hate to say that here too, but it's the truth. That's not to say that I would watch evil being done idly because I wouldn't; but I don't trust myself to intervene with a handgun at this juncture in my life. I'm working on it though as I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read "sometimes there is no justice, sometimes there is just us" and It made me feel inadequate and poser-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We will get to your section a bit later.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    3. Feeder VS Receiver

A. Feeder all the time (never the receiver). What ever the situation, I control it.
    B. Feeder equals control (in charge).
    C. Receiver equals being told what to do (dictated too).
    D. There are no victims (only volunteers).
    E. VA Tech Students? Feeder or Receiver?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Sadmin I understand where you are coming from but let me pose this question- What happens to your wife and daughters if, god forbid, something was to happen to you or if you were targeted? This isn't meant to steer you in either direction I am just curious if this has entered your calculus. Basically, has the 2nd and 3rd order consequences on your family been taken into account if you are the target?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattexass View Post
    Sadmin I understand where you are coming from but let me pose this question- What happens to your wife and daughters if, god forbid, something was to happen to you or if you were targeted? This isn't meant to steer you in either direction I am just curious if this has entered your calculus. Basically, has the 2nd and 3rd order consequences on your family been taken into account if you are the target?
    In D4's class, he covers this question, but it isn't in the video. If you are going to be the guy that "runs into the restaurant to save people being slaughtered," then you have to accept the consequences. What does that mean? That means that you have a life insurance policy to support your family when you are gone. That means you have another male in your family's life that will fill your roll and help raise your children. That means that you have informed your wife what you are going to do in times of need.

As I assume your question is meant for me, I have covered all the questions I just posted. So I am that guy.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think I agree with Defoor's "dying well" concept. I don't see myself as a hero by any means, but I know if I came across an active shooter situation in which I was not armed, I'd regret not carrying that day for the rest of my life. I guess the idea of service comes from the same place that caused me to join the military.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast