Thread: Ohio firearms instructor charged for unintentional shooting

Feedback Score

Ohio firearms instructor charged for unintentional shooting

This case points out the importance of being aware of where your muzzle is pointing. Muzzle direction is the primary safety of safe gunhandling; always has been and always will be.

http://exm.nr/NYgdnK
    It's only an "arm's length" gun if you're incompetent.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Suspend certificate and complete court ordered re-train? Sure.

Bring criminal charges, bring up similar incident from 32 years ago & most likely revoke certificate? Thats a bit much IMO.

Students in that particular class learned more that day than any of his previous students. Best object lesson ever. Glad nobody was seriously injured.

Feedback Score
    I don't know... nobody's perfect, but if it had been me or a loved one who was shot, I'd be 100% in favor of criminal charges. And personally I don't think he should be allowed to teach firearms again, ever. Putting a round in the floor because of a lapse would be different IMO. Anyone can have a lapse in judgement and have a ND. As long as you don't muzzle anyone, a ND is a learning point. When your ND puts a hole in flesh - especially someone else's flesh... I think your days of teaching firearms related subjects should be over.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I don't know... nobody's perfect, but if it had been me or a loved one who was shot, I'd be 100% in favor of criminal charges. And personally I don't think he should be allowed to teach firearms again, ever. Putting a round in the floor because of a lapse would be different IMO. Anyone can have a lapse in judgement and have a ND. As long as you don't muzzle anyone, a ND is a learning point. When your ND puts a hole in flesh - especially someone else's flesh... I think your days of teaching firearms related subjects should be over.
    Not arguing your point because as we all know the firearms industry is under more scrutiny than any other.
    But, using that same logic anyone who is at fault in a car accident that injures someone else should lose their driving privileges? We all know speeding can be dangerous but almost everyone does at some point in the week. Yes this could have been something worse, but it wasn't. Everybody got a refresher from this guys lapse.