Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 686 SSR

Feedback Score
    I own both a 686 and the SSR. The SSR feels more like a K-frame M15 Combat Masterpiece rather than an L-frame. The trigger and hammer on mine are forged and case hardened. (I don't know if that's the case on the newer production items.)

The DA pull is extremely smooth and registers at 8.75lbs, while the SA breaks very clean at about 3.5lbs w/ virtually no over travel thanks to the trigger stop projecting out the back of the trigger. The accuracy is excellent, as one would expect from an L-frame. Quick DA shots at tgts in defensive distances are no problem and precise SA shots at extended ranges out to 75-100m at 1gal milk jugs are easily accomplished.
    The sights have a red ramp front and a solid black rear adjustable. As mentioned in another post, the front is easily swapped out. A good Patridge type front w/ a gold bead would be a good addition if so inclined, or a FO, both of which are available from S&W and others.

The over-all QC and workmanship, fit & finish is exceptional. The SSR has one of the most attractive bead blast finishes I've seen in quite a while. I've had mine since 2009 and have had zero problems. I can comfortably recommend the SSR.
    Last edited by SLM; 07-28-14 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S391 View Post
    I have one of each... The 686SSR is a very nice pistol and it feels more like a K-frame than a full sized L-frame revolver. The trigger is better than my 686 but it's not as nice as my 625 that I had worked over.... I love my 686SSR... The 686 is very nice but the SSR just feels more refined and balanced.

I have owned more then a few S&W revolvers, the 686 is probably the best production .357 made by anyone, however one thing I despise about it, which is purely ascetic on my part, is that the 686 is just so linear, its lines just suck. It has none of the rich, deeply appealing allure of the 19/66/65 K-frames due in large part to its full length lug, which I have always felt was a soul killing feature of the design, a mistake by S&W engineers, it just looks so sterile and uninspiring compared with the curvaceous, elegant beauty of the K-frames....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teutonicpolymer View Post
    for serious use I would get a pre lock 686

I don't like the internal lock guns
    This is a crock. The storage lock is dead easy to remove or disable. Once that is done, modern S&W revolvers are every bit as reliable as the pre-lock ones.

BTW, the MIM fire control parts in the new revolvers give them a MUCH sweeter trigger pull and break right out of the box.

I've had plenty of both kinds.

Feedback Score
    I agree 100%.
    I have three S&Ws w/ locks and/or MIM parts, (a 686SSR w/ forged hammer & trigger and a lock, 386NG w/ MIM and lock and a 1997 686 Mtn Gun w/ MIM and no lock) and all three of them have some of the best machining, fit & finish and overall quality control I've seen come from S&W.
    Much better than the S&W revolvers I own that date from 1976-1986.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd go with a pre-lock 686 as well. I know people remove the lock and have great success, however S&W won't cover anything under warranty if you do this. also I like keeping it simple and not dealing with all that

Feedback Score
    I've got a 686 SSR. It's a really great revolver.
    I like the interchangable front sight. I've got fibre optic on there right now.
    The trigger is quite nice and it's very accurate.
    I've got the lock and I just ignore it. Never been a problem and I've fired quite a few rounds through it.
    Great general use handgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdkd View Post
    I know people remove the lock and have great success, however S&W won't cover anything under warranty if you do this.
    If you can remove the lock arm (the "flag" that locks the hammer) you can replace it again if you need to send the pistol back to S&W for warranty work.

If you can change a freaking tire on a car, you can do all this.

Feedback Score
    I carried a S&W 686 for about 10 years as a Game Warden in Colorado in the '80s. Fired literally thousands of rounds through it. It was the only weapon I could shoot a perfect score with. Never a hiccup. I only saw one malfunction on the range caused by another warden that did not maintain his weapon and a piece of burnt powder got under the ejector and tied the weapon up. Later the State issued us S&W Automatics with the decocker in .40. (4027) Recently I have been looking for another 686, but with the current prices I could not swing it, so I ran into an older 1976 bicentennial Ruger Security Six. I have been using that out here on the farm. If I could find an older 686 W/O the lock in my price range I would scoop it up in a heartbeat! I think it is the finest Revolver made.
    Just my opinion.
    If you want God To smile, Tell him your plans....

Member, Force Recon Association
    HR 218 Certified
    Former USMC 0311/8654

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I personally like the way the full under lug the looks. It gives it a Python-esque look, IMO.

My ideal 686 would be a 6-shot with a 3" barrel. They currently only make the 7-shot. The only reason I want the 6 is because of my speedloader collection and the fact that my preferred loader, the Jet Loader, only comes in the 6rd variant. Does anyone know if someone makes a 7rd loader similar to the Jet Loader?
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, you do know that Grant has some S&W wheelguns on sale at COST...I just bought a Mod.69 for $542.... Check out his post in the EE.. There might be something there for you.. The 69 feels like a sweet gun, I can't wait to get it out to the range.. Guess I'll have to dig out the dies.......
    Last edited by ralph; 11-15-14 at 09:32.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast