Thread: worksharp ken onion edition

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

worksharp ken onion edition

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Yl_Z-oRkU

i know twang and bang is on here... but besides him, anyone else use this?

Feedback Score
    They sent me one to try a few months ago
    I haven't got around to posting my review yet but I LOVE it!
    Works great on hard steel hunting knifes to every day pocket knifes to kitchen knifes..

Damned good product
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    Work sharp rep came by my place of work and I got some one on one time with him and this new piece. I liked it much more than the older system, as the belts were much wider and of higher quality than the previous model. The adjustable speed is great for edge polishing in the final steps. I was also very impressed with the extra fine belts, especially when coupled with stropping paste. I was able to get great hair popping edges in a fraction of the time of traditional stropping. The system is much more user friendly when used free hand, as opposed to the older model do to belt track system retaining the belts better with less movement and flex. If you plan on using the guide, be sure to use the rotating edge stabilizing roller to keep the belts from pulling the blade after it rides off the front guide. It is a good guide system.

This is a power tool, and with all power tools,there is a learning curve. With practice it is an outstanding option for great, quick results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have one. It's excellent, very fast. Great especially for re-profiling. I use it more for my kitchen knives which are, coincidentally, Shun Ken Onion editions...so I like the flexibility of just dialing in the 16 degree angle that Japanese knives require. Gotta be careful about rounding the tip, and I finish the knives up with a couple of passes with an ultra-fine Sharpmaker ceramic just to de-burr.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i finally got to use mine a little while ago. i used it to sharpen two axes. one snow and nealley hudsen bay and one fiskar camp ax.

both have a great edge on them now. better than any hand sanding with a mousepad that i would ever do. to top it off, it only a few minutes with each belt. i did get a face and nose full of metal, but now i know to use a respirator. i don't understand how all the knife manufacturing videos online don't show the craftsmen in respirators when they go to the huge sand drum to shape blades. even when sharpening the axes, i did not find a need to go above the slowest belt speed setting. the system is awesome.

one thing i thought was going to be a problem was that the system doesn't "allow" you to sharpen by pulling the belt "up" the edge of the knife on both sides of a blade. if you look at the advertising material, it's simple to see you go up on one side and then when you go to sharpen the other side the belt is going in the opposite direction. at least for the axes there was a solution for this. i just rotated the belt cassette, took off the knife guides and used it more like a drum. rotating the cassettte just allowed the ax handles and blade lengths enough space to be put on either side of the sharpener. i don't know if this makes sense, if it doesn't then i will clarify.

i don't know how i will address sharpening "up" the edge on both sides of a knife, but it also may be less crucial for knives. perhaps there is a reason they designed it like this and i'm just ignorant, but i thought it was best to sharpen up the edge and not down.

Feedback Score
    I was wondering the same thing about the belt direction.

It is a non issue on knives
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    bump from the dead . . .

I just picked up one of the Ken Onion WorkSharp sharpeners. I dig it. Been sharpening everything I can around the house. Takes a little bit of practice so I wouldn't start on your best cutlery but once you get the hang of it, it works very well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoPrecision View Post
    Work sharp rep came by my place of work and I got some one on one time with him and this new piece. I liked it much more than the older system, as the belts were much wider and of higher quality than the previous model. The adjustable speed is great for edge polishing in the final steps. I was also very impressed with the extra fine belts, especially when coupled with stropping paste. I was able to get great hair popping edges in a fraction of the time of traditional stropping. The system is much more user friendly when used free hand, as opposed to the older model do to belt track system retaining the belts better with less movement and flex. If you plan on using the guide, be sure to use the rotating edge stabilizing roller to keep the belts from pulling the blade after it rides off the front guide. It is a good guide system.

This is a power tool, and with all power tools,there is a learning curve. With practice it is an outstanding option for great, quick results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What stropping paste are you using?