Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trust benefits beyond NFA?

Feedback Score
    They are not each others items. They are the trusts items in which you are both trustees.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattg1024 View Post
    So if I have a trust, and a friend also has a trust, and we are listed as Trustees on each others trusts, could we be in possession of each others items?
    It would depend upon how the powers of the trustee are defined. Look for something along the lines of "the Trustee is authorized: (1) To use for their personal enjoyment, in the discretion of the Trustee, any property transferred to the Trust"

Feedback Score
    Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, and I'm an attorney (but please don't hold that against me). A well drafted gun trust is going to have the sort of provision Jack points out. The provisions relating to the powers of and exoneration of the trustees are prime examples of how a well drafted gun trust differs from a typical (i.e., non-firearms related) living trust: in a gun trust, a trustee is authorized to use the trust property for his own enjoyment; in a non-firearms living trust, the trustee could actually be sued by the beneficiaries for using trust property.

Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    It would depend upon how the powers of the trustee are defined. Look for something along the lines of "the Trustee is authorized: (1) To use for their personal enjoyment, in the discretion of the Trustee, any property transferred to the Trust"
    Last edited by RockMaple; 05-03-14 at 08:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMaple View Post
    Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, and I'm an attorney (but please don't hold that against me). A well drafted gun trust is going to have the sort of provision Jack points out. The provisions relating to the powers of and exoneration of the trustees are prime examples of how a well drafted gun trust differs from a typical (i.e., non-firearms related) living trust: in a gun trust, a trustee is authorized to use the trust property for his own enjoyment; in a non-firearms living trust, the trustee could actually be used by the beneficiaries for using trust property.
    Not trying to be a nitpicker but in the last line did you mean "sued" rather than "used"? In context here, we are using both words. In a gun trust, the trustee can be allowed to USE trust property, e.g., the NFA items. In a non-gun trust, the trustee might be SUED by beneficiaries if using trust property is a breach of fiduciary duties.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Property in trust passes outside of probate. There is no delay in moving the property under trust while non-trust property is administered/held/delayed by the executor/administrator of the estate.

Trust property is also not at risk to be liquidated/used to pay creditors of the estate.

Trust property passes as designated by the trust. Non-trust property will pass by will, or, absent a will, by intestate succession laws.

The qualification to that is jointly titled property may have rights of survivorship or accounts may be "payable on death."

That varies from state to state for example in Florida a trust is liable for all debts of the grantor for 24 months following their death so property in some cases can't be removed from the trust until all debts are settled and debtors have 24 months to file their claim against the estate.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I meant "sued". Good catch, Jack. The concern stems from a breach of fiduciary duties owed to the beneficiaries when a trustee is using trust property for his own enjoyment or benefit. That's one of the issues addressed by a properly drafted gun trust.

Not trying to be a nitpicker but in the last line did you mean "sued" rather than "used"? In context here, we are using both words. In a gun trust, the trustee can be allowed to USE trust property, e.g., the NFA items. In a non-gun trust, the trustee might be SUED by beneficiaries if using trust property is a breach of fiduciary duties.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Great info guys. I had a trust drawn up back in March. Was able to efile a Form 1 before the site crashed.

One thing I did not think of before doing this was the possession of NFA items. If I was not home, and my wife has access to the safe, she is technically in possession of those items if not on a trust.

So far I am glad I went the trust route. Had a great guy help me out and answered a ton of questions. He wrote it and saved on a USB drive and CD, so I can change it, add or remove from it whenever I need. As of right now, I am a trustee and grantor, while my wife is also a trustee and beneficiary.
    Last edited by mattg1024; 05-04-14 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    Having access to the safe is some extreme far reaching 'possession.'

But, using the gun to shoot a burglar is a realistic scenario

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Having access to the safe is some extreme far reaching 'possession.'

But, using the gun to shoot a burglar is a realistic scenario
    My thoughts too. If she doesn't 'have' the combo to said safe then she doesn't have access.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    Even with the combination, still pretty farfetched

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast