Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First not-totally-crap polymer lower?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one of these, the newest version, and i definitely dont run it real hard or abuse it, but it gets shot fairly often at the range. The grip is kinda crappy so i have a hogue grip sleeve on it and the length of pull is perfect for me. I never regret buying it, and it has never failed me in any way... it is alittle ugly tho...

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    The Cav lowers were decent for what they are.

I'd go with a Tennessee Arms lower if I wanted polymer.

http://www.tnarmsco.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks good, especially for $45 on sale.

Very tempting... thanks for posting that.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    The guy behind TNarmsco is a retired Marine and his brother is AF. They seem to be doing things right.

Feedback Score
    Buddy of mine has a James Madison Tactical poly lower and from what I've seen him do to them, those ones are pretty dang good for polymer, and look pretty neat to.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You know, polymer lowers probably would be a whole lot more realistic in terms of what they could handle if companies just ditched the traditional BCG and gas system and did a piston system similar to other folding stock AR's. Would eliminate all the issues that polymer lowers have. Could always just run a drop in FCG like a CMC, Timney, or wilson which would solve all the trigger pin issues also.

Heck, unsure why someone doesn't just do an ar18 ordeal and not do a piss poor job like the last company did with the polymer ar18 lowers.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    You know, polymer lowers probably would be a whole lot more realistic in terms of what they could handle if companies just ditched the traditional BCG and gas system and did a piston system similar to other folding stock AR's. Would eliminate all the issues that polymer lowers have. Could always just run a drop in FCG like a CMC, Timney, or wilson which would solve all the trigger pin issues also.

Heck, unsure why someone doesn't just do an ar18 ordeal and not do a piss poor job like the last company did with the polymer ar18 lowers.
    The problem is that companies take a part designed to be made out of aluminum, and substitute plastic, without modifying the design to take into account the properties of the material it's being made out of. A piston won't fix that. A piston just gives you a new set of problems, different than your old set of problems, plastic lower or not.

The reason it doesn't make sense to build on another platform is because you end up having to build the entire gun, not just the lower. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Got me a plastic lower 'bout a year ago, just to mess around and put together a dedicated .22 AR.

HATED the plastic FCG. Switched out w mil spec FCG.
    Then the take-down pins (plastic......) got on my nerves. Switch them out.
    Then the (commercial dia.) RE and totally crap stock REALLY started to irritate me. Switched them out too.
    Now I hate myself for the fact that I've put all this decent hardware on a POS plastic for my wife/kids/friends to shoot .22

Then it finally dawned on me that for the same $150 I spent on that piece of F@#CK*&G garbage I could have gotten any 2 totally decent rock-solid 7075 lowers and be done with it. WTF was I thinking......
    (Going the TNarmsco route -which as plastic lowers go look like the best option going - add another ~ $30 or so and be done........No?)

Based on my practical hands on experience - Plastic lowers are a pointless solution looking for a non existing problem.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
    Looks good, especially for $45 on sale.

Very tempting... thanks for posting that.
    Looks like a decent deal for polymer, with some upgrades

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Please someone help me:

A stripped polymer (PLASTIC - not some hitech ninja space age ubercomposite) lower - list $70 priced to sell $45/55
    Average price quality 7075 alloy garden variety lower $69/79

What am I missing?
    Last edited by polydeuces; 03-24-14 at 19:25.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast