Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First not-totally-crap polymer lower?

Feedback Score
    With billet options becoming more and more lightweight, lighter than a forged lower, I personally would pay more for the billet option over plastic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    That's the whole issue. Replacing strength and durability to save weight.
    The elusive goal, of course, is to keep durability, save some weight, and reduce cost. Plastic lowers IMO are more about reducing cost than saving weight, although they do tend to be pretty light.

The issue with polymer lowers is you aren't gaining anything. By the time you beef them up in all the key spots, add metal inserts here and there, do all this refining and R&D work, you really aren't far off a normal lower in terms of weight and cost.
    You're doing it wrong. The higher cost in development is offset by low production cost. Injection molding is cheap, if you get your quantities up. It takes far less time to injection mold a lower than machine one. Adding metal is one way, a fixed stock is another. Perhaps somewhere out on the horizon, is another as yet un-thought of solution... It also depends on if you're trying to make a 'Liberator' style weapon, or something that is as enduring as the metal variety...

That is where the Cav lower at least comes out decent, but still, being stuck with the same grip and stock, one something known to eventually crack or warp, it really just boils down to preference I guess.
    Cav Arms lowers don't have a reputation for cracking or warping, from what I've seen (save the well known sonic welding manufacturing defect).
    Last edited by eodinert; 03-27-14 at 07:05.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    The elusive goal, of course, is to keep durability, save some weight, and reduce cost. Plastic lowers IMO are more about reducing cost than saving weight, although they do tend to be pretty light......

$199 for a stripped Cav Arms lower........I just do not see much of a cost savings there.
    Coupled with the fact that the end user is stuck with not being able to change the grip or stock?
    I see little to no benefit.........for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345