Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Carbine Class - Mag Carriers?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

First Carbine Class - Mag Carriers?

Looking for some insight here.
    Signing up for a Foundation Carbine class with Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute. I currently have no gear other than the rifle, a sling and a few mags & ammo.

I need to be able to carry at least two spare mags on my person. This is where I am not sure which route I want to go; chest rig or belt rig?
    I don't carry my rifle as a profession. I don't do three gun (yet anyway, who knows what the future holds). And honestly, the rifle isn't even my "go-to" system (again, at least right now).

So, I guess my question is; with that info what do you guys who've "been there and done that" recommend for someone in my position?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A good web belt would be a good investment if don't have one. You could get by with a cobra or trainer style belt and a couple of ITW fastmag pouches for the time being. A dump pouch will also make things easier. If this is your first class, I would get no more than that and see what might work for you at class, this should be more than enough to get by. There should be a lot of setups from the various students there which could aid you in your decision. If your not sure what you want, don't drop a bunch of dough on a chest rig or belt set up until your done with class. I personally run a velocity oub belt, safariland low ride ALS w/QLS, Esstac kywi's pistol and rifle pouche x2 w dump pouch on a vicking tactics cobra belt. I've gone away from chest rigs since I find a belt more easy to use and it's the system I use at work and would at home if necessary. SKD tactical has a good selection and could help you in your decision. Good luck at class and in your decision.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I use Raven Concealment and Ready Tactical on my work belt. A lot of guys like the ITW Fastmag and the BFG Helium Whisper pouches. However, if I were and just starting out on this never ending road I would advise you just to get some surplus molle double rifle pouches. They are cheap as shit and work 'ok' on a 1.5" pants belt. I don't know the course your going to but it doesn't sound like it will be a snake eater course, and those should serve you good enough to figure out what you like and which way you want to go.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    2 mags on the belt?
    I use the Ready Tactical kydex pouches with high happiness.
    http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical...-p/rdt.110.htm
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    2 mags on the belt?
    I use the Ready Tactical kydex pouches with high happiness.
    http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical...-p/rdt.110.htm
    There's no reason to use anything else in my opinion. Some classes require that you have something stupid like five magazines on you at the line...which dictates a chest rig. But by and large just putting quality kydex on a quality pant belt is the best way to go.

It mimics sticking a mag in your back pocket, it mimics what you'll do if you decide to compete, it's inexpensive, you don't wind up looking all tac'd out(for no good reason since you don't have a job shooting people,) it's comfortable and isn't cumbersome at all, and is honestly the most efficient way to get ammunition that's securely stored on your person into the gun.

The Ready Tactical pouches that F2S linked are excellent(and you get to support SKD whom are amongst if not THE best gear dealers in the business) as are Comp-Tac's. Frankly there's not a damn thing wrong with Blade-Tech either.

ETA: The only downside that I can think of is that it's not as easy to ditch at lunch if your class goes into town...but you can pull the mags out, untuck your shirt, and nobody will be the wiser. Frankly if quick on/off was a priority, I'd still be prone to going with that setup and substituting a CR Speed Belt for your regular belt.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 03-21-14 at 16:06.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For my first class I used one belt version of the ITW fast mag and a TAG dump pouch. I kind of wish I had 2 of the fast mags to have one more on my belt (which was a cheap riggers type from EMS).

The set up worked fine for class, and I had wanted some pouches I could mount on to molle later on if I got a padded belt or something else that would use the molle webbing.

At the class I took they were lending out the ones F2S mentions above. I didn't use them but they looked to work pretty well.

Being your first class I would just try to keep it simple (that's what I had learned from reading other threads here too!)

Feedback Score
    The most important thing is that they're removable without taking off your belt.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Personal experience with Raven, Ready Tac, and Safariland mag pouches. All have been good to go in class and on the street.
    With Ready Tac, it's one stop shopping on SKD, and you'll have your gear quickly.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Depending on the course, I hate to be the guy who's always going back to the ammo table to reload my only two magazines, either holding up the class or missing parts of exercises. I use a dedicated gun belt for courses (Brokos belt works fir me). For carbine courses I set it up with 4 rifle mag carriers and two pistol mags, for pistol courses...4 pistol mag carriers. If it's a high round-count carbine course then I add a chest rig with 4 more rifle mags. Sometimes I'll take a course entirely designed as a "concealed carry" or "defensive pistol" course, then I'll use some kind of low-profile holster like an RCS and two mag carriers. I don't "train as I fight" because I don't fight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_B View Post
    The most important thing is that they're removable without taking off your belt.
    Why is this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast