Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Carbine Class - Mag Carriers?

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I have used these for about 2 years now with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    2 mags on the belt?
    I use the Ready Tactical kydex pouches with high happiness.
    http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical...-p/rdt.110.htm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As crazy an answer as it sounds, for the money you can get a pair of the TruSPec 24/7 Pants, and spend some money on a really good belt for them. They'll hold a pair of pistol mags and 4x rifle mags pretty well, and you'll have a belt and pair of pants you can use every day. As much as I adored my super-fancy HSGI Belt with all the fancy Taco/BCG 10 Speed accoutrement for the two intermediate level courses I've taken with that setup - I know for an absolute fact I could have gotten by with just the pants. The back pockets are okay for dump pouch/partial storage, the cargo pockets can still store essentials even when loaded down with magazines.

For a first course, I DO recommend this precisely because you'll learn so much seeing other individual rigs out there that you'll come away with a completely different idea of what you want to run - at least this way you'll have spend money on gear that absolutely can be reused both on and off the range.

[ETA] Since you mentioned you only have a few rifle and pistol magazines, why spend money on a rig that holds more than you have in terms of equipment anyway? Get a good loading tool (I'm a fan of the MagLULU and UP-Lula myself), and you'll never be holding up the class with ammo loads even with just a few mags. Just get more stuff that you'll be sure to use anyway - for the price of a decent rig, you can have all four of these things - and I'm still an absolute fan of all four of these items as range essentials anyway.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 03-25-14 at 14:37.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
    I have used these for about 2 years now with no issues.
    A huge +1 on ready tactical mag pouches on a good belt. I have taken 4 classes with just these

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    As crazy an answer as it sounds, for the money you can get a pair of the TruSPec 24/7 Pants, and spend some money on a really good belt for them. They'll hold a pair of pistol mags and 4x rifle mags pretty well, and you'll have a belt and pair of pants you can use every day. As much as I adored my super-fancy HSGI Belt with all the fancy Taco/BCG 10 Speed accoutrement for the two intermediate level courses I've taken with that setup - I know for an absolute fact I could have gotten by with just the pants. The back pockets are okay for dump pouch/partial storage, the cargo pockets can still store essentials even when loaded down with magazines.

For a first course, I DO recommend this precisely because you'll learn so much seeing other individual rigs out there that you'll come away with a completely different idea of what you want to run - at least this way you'll have spend money on gear that absolutely can be reused both on and off the range.

[ETA] Since you mentioned you only have a few rifle and pistol magazines, why spend money on a rig that holds more than you have in terms of equipment anyway? Get a good loading tool (I'm a fan of the MagLULU and UP-Lula myself), and you'll never be holding up the class with ammo loads even with just a few mags. Just get more stuff that you'll be sure to use anyway - for the price of a decent rig, you can have all four of these things - and I'm still an absolute fan of all four of these items as range essentials anyway.
    I think this is some solid info.

Instructor said as long as I'm safe I can run mags in my pockets.

I am pretty sure I want to go the Raven/Taco route at this point but just can't justify buying all the equipment right now as I'd get only a little use of it them.
    Hopefully I am able to do more of these types of things and can really put gear to use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Since you mentioned you only have a few rifle and pistol magazines, why spend money on a rig that holds more than you have in terms of equipment anyway? Get a good loading tool (I'm a fan of the MagLULU and UP-Lula myself), and you'll never be holding up the class with ammo loads even with just a few mags. Just get more stuff that you'll be sure to use anyway - for the price of a decent rig, you can have all four of these things - and I'm still an absolute fan of all four of these items as range essentials anyway.
    I love the LULA and caught more than a couple of impressed looks when I started loading. I actually prefer the StripLULA. It takes time at home to load the strips before you go but it's incredibly fast on the range. I take a mix of strip and loose ammo. And don't waste time pre-loading your mags. I learned the hard way. I had everything loaded to capacity but the drills only called for 6-15 rounds and in various mag combos. The strip lets me load up full mags if needed and the loose lets me load as needed.

Take whatever tools you have also. I was surprised that 3 out of 5 in my last class had to take a minute to tighten the castle nut late in the day.

Feedback Score
    I run the ready tac pouches, 2 rifle and 1 pistol off a Wilderness instructor belt as well. This has served me well but I'm looking for a low profile solution for colder weather or rain.

I'm trying to avoid the battle belt. I was thinking about running a cobra belt with Velcro over a Velcro inner belt. Then I could take it off and run it over a light rain coat if needed.

I'm not a gear guy so does anyone have any suggestions?
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I don't really like to wear a belt over outer layers as they tend to shift and the coat wants to rise up constantly. For that application, chest mounted mags or packed mags, in conjunction with a single belt mag, work better for me.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123