Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New home range....steel question

Feedback Score

New home range....steel question

Just got the dozer work finished for my home range which I had carved out of the woods. It's 100 yards with a big dirt pile at 50 and another at 100, with knocked-down trees stacked behind the furthest one as additional protection. I don't trust shooting steel at 50 (especially with rifle rounds) but am okay with 100.

I am looking for suggestions (even if it's "high end") for a steel silhouette or similar target. Would like an automatic resetting one but it likely needs to deflect rounds downwards as opposed to flinging them upward. Yeah, I know that probably eliminates the resetting feature but any suggestions are appreciated.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Check out Mc Cree Precision Targets. I have five of them and have not had any problems

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We routinely shoot 5.56 and .223 at steel gongs at our home range at 50 yards and often less. They're angled slightly downward. I had a jacket hit me in the chest shooting our pistol dueling tree once, but no other issues.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ive got one from a company called Sub MOA Target that sounds like it might work for you.

I dont see it on their website so you might have to call them. I think it was $200. Comes with a base and needs a 2x4 so you can set it whatever height you want. About 1/2 IDPA with a flipper in it that is a heart shot and then turns into a little hostage target over the left shoulder you shoot and knock back down. Its angled down pretty well too. Ive also got one of their silhouette targets that has taken a pounding too with no damage(banged it with a 500 Jeffries at 100 yards and it didnt do anything).

Dont mind the bend in the bottom corner or the gouge at the bottom center of the center flipper opening, we may have pounded it with 50 BMG way closer than we should have. All those other hits are 5.56, 7.62x39 and 300BLK at 50 yards. There was a huge trough of splatter just under the target so I know it was throwing the spall directly downwards.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I highly trust MGM rifle targets, shooting them as close as 35 yards (with ricochet protection around the base) with no ill effect.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Big Dog Steel has been recommended to me personally, and I've heard good things about MGM. TacStrike is big in my area and what I personally own, and I believe is what we shot at EVTC. We were hitting the 1/4 scale steel under 50 yards I think.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Congrats on the range.

My PD purchased 3 of these for rifle training. We have been shooting them 1× per month for over a year. We use 55 grain Winchester Q3131A ammo. I have shot these as close as 40 yards without issue. I highly recommend these targets. The base angles the plate so that all the splatter is directed down. We have shot a lot of rounds at these and they are still functional.

http://www.saluteproducts.com/bundle...ni-popper.html
    Last edited by signal4l; 04-27-14 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I highly trust MGM rifle targets, shooting them as close as 35 yards (with ricochet protection around the base) with no ill effect.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    That is what I ended up ordering this morning. Specifically the Tac E Silhouette one. It has an AR500 "strut" that holds it, turned sideways so the narrowest part faces the shooter. It is also slightly angled downward to deflect rounds. I'm going to dig the base into the ground so the whole thing sits lower and less of the "strut" is exposed. Considering concreting the base in the hole I dig to further secure it as well as helping prevent the metal of the base itself from rusting over time.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-27-14 at 17:31.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    Congrats on the range.

My PD purchased 3 of these for rifle training. We have been shooting them 1× per month for over a year. We use 55 grain Winchester Q3131A ammo. I have shot these as close as 40 yards without issue. I highly recommend these targets. The base angles the plate so that all the splatter is directed down. We have shot a lot of rounds at these and they are still functional.

http://www.saluteproducts.com/bundle...ni-popper.html
    That looks pretty cool too! Maybe I'll end up with more than one.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast