Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Rugged" Coolers - Compared

Feedback Score
    The problem with yeti recently is that they were bought by the cortec group. I stopped by my local John deere dealer about a week ago and asked the owner about the icee tek coolers he had on display and why he chose them over yeti. (Scott is always really sharp about the stuff he puts in his display so it was a little odd to me that even if yetis recent stuff didn't seem right, he wasn't offering the most popular brand.) That's when he told me about the buy out of yeti and that the cortec reputation for buying big brands and making them cheaper but not lowering the price until the market was dead and selling off the company. I don't know if it is gospel truth, but that would explain why my five year old 75 quart looks and feels like something I could park my cotton picker on and the 25 quart my wife bought me for Christmas last year looks like it is on its last legs.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    I saw a comparison test between top end coolers. I think you will be surprised at how they compared. I know that I will be buying the Coleman Xtreme for less than 100$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U
    I was going to chime in and recommend the Coleman Extreme 5 but I thought this was a cooler snob thread.

I was at deer camp and when I took a second deer I knew the Igloo roller cooler I brought wasn't going to work. a quick run to Walmart and $52 got me this huge (holds 120 quarts or 190 12oz cans) Coleman .

I only had the remains of 2 20 lb bags of ice that about 1/3 had already melted in my Igloo cooler so this would have to do. after letting the 8 quarters (and straps) hang to cool, I put them in the Coleman and poured the remaining ice over them. 3 days later when I took it to the butcher there was still ice in there. good cooler...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you need a bear proof cooler, you need a bear proof cooler. If not, why spend the money?
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    I went through a bunch of cheapie coolers because I'm, well, cheap. But after being out camping and having ice melt too many times I opted for a more expensive Max Cold cooler. After that I went on camping trips and canoe trips, etc., and my buddies would run out of ice and have to make a run...or be S out of luck... When you're out canoeing on a river for a few days with no way to re-stock, having a good cooler matters.

Buy cheap, you get cheap. You'll probably end up spending much more in ice bag replacements, or lukewarm beer or whatever. Better to just go with something good from the get go. Doesn't have to be Yeti, though, obviously.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinking Dog View Post
    I went through a bunch of cheapie coolers because I'm, well, cheap. But after being out camping and having ice melt too many times I opted for a more expensive Max Cold cooler. After that I went on camping trips and canoe trips, etc., and my buddies would run out of ice and have to make a run...or be S out of luck... When you're out canoeing on a river for a few days with no way to re-stock, having a good cooler matters.

Buy cheap, you get cheap. You'll probably end up spending much more in ice bag replacements, or lukewarm beer or whatever. Better to just go with something good from the get go. Doesn't have to be Yeti, though, obviously.
    I agree. However, just because something has a low price does not make it crap.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a 75 qt. Brute Box and prefer it to a Yeti.

So much so, I'm getting a 2nd

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philcam View Post
    I have a 75 qt. Brute Box and prefer it to a Yeti.

So much so, I'm getting a 2nd
    Would you say they keep the temperature like a yeti?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahrule View Post
    Would you say they keep the temperature like a yeti?
    Yes, I looked at both the Brute and Yeti. Both companies make good products, but I like the Brute more. Their hinges, latches and carry-handles seem more robust.

My first Brute was a 25 qt and I now have a 75 qt. Both my Brute Boxes will keep ice for 5+ days.

I also think Yeti over-rates their sizes. In my opinion, their 65 qt is closer to 50 or 55 qts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can vouch for K2, they have a scratch and dent section on their website. Saves a few bucks and they make a good cooler.

Feedback Score
    yeap I own a yeti. Only game in town when I bought mine.

I always kept a marine igloo under my leaning post on my boat. Sun eats them up. One wouldn't last much over a year.

one day I was in Bass Pro getting me a new cooler. The marine igloo they wanted $160 for and the yeti was $300. I figured hell if it last 2 years it will pay for itself. That was 5 or 6 years ago and that yeti is still going strong.

That said I am a construction superintendent and live in a camper on the road. Use a lot of coolers. That igloo extreme will hold Ice as good as the yeti but again if you use it it will not last much more than a year. if you open your cooler a lot then any of them will hold ice about the same.

The only drawback to the yeti type coolers for me is weight. Those suckers are heavy.

but they will outlive you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast