Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Rugged" Coolers - Compared

Feedback Score

"Rugged" Coolers - Compared

So the bottom line here is, I was sorta leaning towards buying a YETI or similar rugged use cooler for my rare but occasional hog hunting trips and roadtrips back to Nebraska. When I got to looking around online I found that there are a slew of manufacturers that sell these "roto molded" coolers very similar to the popular YETI coolers. My intentions were to shop around and perhaps find a manufacturer that was making a durable cooler at a better price point than some of the more popular brands. The truth is though, I got to the point where I had too many options to look at and I gave up on making a decision until the time came that I actually needed to bite the bullet and buy one of these things (that will be sometime down the road). However, over the last few nights I have had some free time and nothing better to do so I compiled a list of different manufacturers, models, and specifications of most all of the roto-mold coolers that I could track down to help compare price vs size vs brand vs etc... This turned into a pretty big list and I thought it would be worth sharing. Hopefully someone out there can make use of all this data to help them buy their next overpriced cooler ;)

Up front I will say that this is far from a scientific/in-depth approach to comparison and take it for what it is. I have none of these models to actually compare first hand. This comparison gives no merit to the different manufacturer claims of "ice retention" because claims are claims and everyone will have different results. The real reason that I would by one of these is not for 3 weeks of ice retention, but merely to buy a quality product that I would not have to worry about breaking a latch or a hinge on. This is a product that you would buy with hopes of using it hassle free for years and years.

I have no dog in this fight. I am not an off-shore fisherman or a hunting guide and do not plan on storing a quartered elk for a week in bear country. I have always been an Igloo cheapo or foam cooler from the gas station because I forgot my igloo at home kind of guy. Once I decided I might be buying one of these one day, I simply wanted to determine if there was a less expensive means to a rugged cooler vs the big brands out there.

If you think this resource might help you, here are some things to keep in mind:

-All of the specifications and information is data that was found on the web by just searching and reading. If I couldn't find it, I didn't list it. This compilation of data is nothing extraordinary and could have been created by anyone with the time and interest. I am simply sharing so you don't have to do the legwork that I have already done. Hell, there may be someone else out there that has already done this. But I couldn't find it.
    -This was compiled fairly quickly so I am sure there are mistakes. If you download the file and have Excel then you can correct what you need to correct if it affects your use of the comparison.
    -This comparison doesn't include every roto-molded cooler out there. Again, if you want to add something to compare for yourself then just download it and edit as needed.
    -For those of you who download the file to edit it, be aware that there are columns and cells that are set up with simple formulas and conditional formatting. If you type in one, the formula is gone. For you Excel wizards out there, you will have no issues. For the rest, if you have issues, hit undo ;)
    -As far as comparing something as simple as coolers goes, this spreadsheet does have quite a bit of data. It really won't do you much good to view it as you see it in the link (kind of in a "print preview" form). It will be best to download if you have Excel or use Google Sheets to view the file so you have the ability to sort and filter the data to help you compare what you actually want to compare.
    -I know not everyone cares to know about "overpriced" coolers. If you are one that doesn't care, don't crucify me for posting something that I thought might be helpful for someone else.
    -Admittedly, this is probably not the most appropriate forum for a comparison of coolers. The thing is, as I said before I am not much of a big hunter or fisherman so I am not a member of other forums that may find this comparison more useful. I posted it here because I know many of you guys are hunters/fisherman/outdoor enthusiasts and are probably capable, and maybe willing, to pass this resource along to other groups of people that you think it might be beneficial to. Do with it as you please.
    -Again, this is a comparison of very basic information, so take it for what it is.
    -The links below are to the same spreadsheet. One is a .xls file and the other is .xlsx.

Feel free to post any first hand use or experiences with any of these products if you care to. I think the biggest value would be to know how a given company responds to "my latch broke" or other issues during the warranty period or even outside of warranty. Each of these coolers should do their jobs well enough as coolers. The big differences between them would come down to their price, ruggedness, customer service, etc... Many of which cannot be compared without first hand experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2W...it?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2W...it?usp=sharing

Feedback Score
    I LOVE my Yeti 65. That being said, you can save some coin by picking up one of Pelican's coolers. Their 65 is actually preferable for me. It's deeper and not as wide. If you're fishing, the wider/longer Yeti might be better but for everything else, the Pelican would take up a smaller footprint. My uncle got one and is stays locked in the back of his truck with a chain and padlock. The latch on the front broke off but is easily replaceable.

Feedback Score
    K2 coolers are comparable to Yeti for less money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Engel Coolers are like the Yeti and k2. They lock up tight. Good prices. Also have good customer service. 3 year warranty on their deep blue series I think. Also they have some pretty cool bait coolers.

Feedback Score
    Coolers are dime a dozen in this part of the country, its almost like riding around with a yeti in the bed of your truck is a status symbol. I bought a yeti 75 quart about seven years ago and I don't regret it, but it seems like their quality has gone down hill lately. My wife bought me the small yeti for christmas last year to keep in the tractor cab with me and it already looks like its about to fall apart.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I'm not being a flippant ass...but what kind of beer are you fellas toting? And what are you doing to your coolers that you need a bomb-proof cooler?

Again, not being a dick, just legitimately curious, because I am obviously missing something.

Feedback Score
    I can't speak for everybody else here, but personally I very rarely if ever carry beer in my coolers. Most of the time it's just lunch fixings with some water and some soda's. As for the bombproof part. I can't tell you how many cheap coolers I've killed over the years. I'm not particularly rough on stuff but my father and my brother can and have broken anvils. With those two getting tools, parts and other things off the back of my truck anything in the bed that isn't describe by words like bombproof and brick pooh house can expect a short life span. Also it might seem trivial but it really is nice not having to stop every morning for ice. Especially at 4 in the morning. But the main thing that drew me to them was the idea of a cooler that might last a few years instead of just a few weeks.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avtech850 View Post
    I can't speak for everybody else here, but personally I very rarely if ever carry beer in my coolers. Most of the time it's just lunch fixings with some water and some soda's. As for the bombproof part. I can't tell you how many cheap coolers I've killed over the years. I'm not particularly rough on stuff but my father and my brother can and have broken anvils. With those two getting tools, parts and other things off the back of my truck anything in the bed that isn't describe by words like bombproof and brick pooh house can expect a short life span. Also it might seem trivial but it really is nice not having to stop every morning for ice. Especially at 4 in the morning. But the main thing that drew me to them was the idea of a cooler that might last a few years instead of just a few weeks.
    Roger that.

I don't know if my folks still have it, but there was an old, green, Coleman cooler we had when I was growing up. My folks had put stickers all over it from every state we had visited. I'm guessing it had to be from the mid 70s. Thing was beastly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still hanging in there, wherever it is...

Feedback Score
    I know exactly the one you are talking about. I pick cotton for a Old mennonite in southern Alabama that keeps one on the back of his truck to hide his beer from his wife in. That cooler looks like it could be hit by a truck and come out on top!!!

Feedback Score
    I saw a comparison test between top end coolers. I think you will be surprised at how they compared. I know that I will be buying the Coleman Xtreme for less than 100$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U
    Last edited by gt40; 08-11-14 at 20:25.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast