Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prototype Ultralight Chest Rig

Feedback Score

Prototype Ultralight Chest Rig

This is an example of the features I saw on U/L chest rigs at SOFIC. There were no single mag "low profile" chest rigs there, but the intent is to show you the materials and techniques currently being developed.

I wanted a simple, 6 mag chest rig, for light patrolling, with everthing else being thrown into a small rucksack. First off, I used 1,000d cordura, but kept everything to a single layer with edge tape. Next I direct sewed the pouches on, using one continous piece of material. I left off all PALS webbing. No velcro or kydex inserts. No shock cord or pull tabs. Simple velcro top flaps. The shoulder straps are type 7 webbing but I will be experimenting with cordura straps very soon. What webbing was used is lighter 337 webbing vs 668 "PALS" webbing. Minimum hardware. No grommets.

Looks very plain-jane, but that's the whole point. Simply functional.

Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Looks nice! A 5 mag version for the .308 mags would be a plus as well. Even an AK version!

I finally put some LBT pouches on my molle only version I got from you, will be trying it out at the upcoming AK class. The LBT pouches will hold 3 standard AR, 2 Pmags and 2 AK's The .308s go in, better with the Magpuls on them, ot at least one.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Here's is an example of a new light weight armor carrier prototype. There are several out there now, for example the rig DocGKR runs on occasion. This one is single layer 1,000d, no PALS, with an expanded plate pocket to hold 10 x 12 plates. This one is cut for BALCS panels, although any good NIJ kevlar would work. I am making a few for my buds to see how they work out.

The U/L chest rig is designed to fit right over it.

Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow, you came up with those fast!

Looks good. I'm interested to see how this concept evolves....

-RD62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh man, I could really use one of those carriers!
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Oh man, I could really use one of those carriers!
    ditto

Feedback Score
    the more things are revolutionary, the more they are the same?

Parafox chest webbing from mid-late 70s Rhodesia / South Africa

so conceptually we are looking at the same thing, just a different generation?

I agree with the concept, people & orgs get caught up with the bandwagon and sometimes lose sight of what has worked in the past. Myself, I constantly use South African equipment to draw concept designs from, and with this latest Diz rig, the first thing I thought of was the rig above. There have been several iterations of this platform, from cotton canvas/snap dot closure to paracloth/packcloth and velcro closure.

The point being folks, not EVERYTHING has to be PALS // modular in nature (or made of quadruple thickness cordura with triple stitching), and that fixed pocket rigs STILL have a place in the modern arena.

BTW DIZ, excellent rig you made for USMC03

Feedback Score
    Hey thanks, Eggroll. You know I still draw inspiration from those Rhodie rigs, as well as the SA and Israeli versions. Hard to beat a classic. When I finished this prototype I had the same thought. It reminded me of what gear used to look like before PALS webbing.

Also props to LBT for their excellent 1961A rig. With it's direct-sewn pouches and lack of PALS webbing, it is a trend-setter and gaining in popularity. The one they did in 330d at the show was seriously light weight. The good news is that LBT gear may become a lot more accessible to earth people in the near future.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jeez that is nice looking stuff. Any idea what they might run in price?

Feedback Score
    tell me about the 1961 rig I like the format and layout of the configuration.

had a chance to fondle a VERY similar rig from an Very familiar mfg. but that variant had 4 x m4 vice 8 M4 capacity.

I am going this route for my stakeout rigs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast