Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prototype Ultralight Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    Hey thanks, Eggroll. You know I still draw inspiration from those Rhodie rigs, as well as the SA and Israeli versions. Hard to beat a classic. When I finished this prototype I had the same thought. It reminded me of what gear used to look like before PALS webbing.

Also props to LBT for their excellent 1961A rig. With it's direct-sewn pouches and lack of PALS webbing, it is a trend-setter and gaining in popularity. The one they did in 330d at the show was seriously light weight. The good news is that LBT gear may become a lot more accessible to earth people in the near future.
    I have owned two LBT 1961A's. I kick my ass everytime I sell one, but I always manage to convince myself that the saw pouches with grenade attahcments aren't of use, so I let them go...

Feedback Score
    The 1961A rig appears to be a real trend-setter here. You can usually find one on ebay or check the LBT website. The one at the show had a few twists, such as 330d material, and printed camo pattern webbing.

I really like this rig, although you may want some different pouch set-ups to fit your needs.

The main concepts to take away here are the direct sewn pouches and lack of PALS webbing, light-weight base materials (single layer 1,000d or possibly 500d), lightweight webbing (337 vs 668), minimum hardware, and IR suppression (solution dyed webbing and material, Ghillietex hardware).
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 1961A rig appears to be a real trend-setter here. You can usually find one on ebay or check the LBT website. The one at the show had a few twists, such as 330d material, and printed camo pattern webbing.

I really like this rig, although you may want some different pouch set-ups to fit your needs.

The main concepts to take away here are the direct sewn pouches and lack of PALS webbing, light-weight base materials (single layer 1,000d or possibly 500d), lightweight webbing (337 vs 668), minimum hardware, and IR suppression (solution dyed webbing and material, Ghillietex hardware).
    The reason I liked the 1961A WAS the lack of PALS.... With PALS, I am forever feeling the urge to change shit, whether it needs it or not.

I do like the LBT1961G split front they have. I only recently found out they had the G model. That maybe without grenade pouches and small dump pouches that are flush with the bottom of the rest of the rig would work good. I found the SAW pouches restricted access to my duty belt (Domestic LE). The mag pouches were great as they worked well with either 2 M4, 2 SMG/MP5 or 2 AK mags.

The lack of PALS makes you rig attractive. And the slick armor carrier is appealing for that reason as well. The slick armor carrier is well suited to mate up with chest rigs.

Feedback Score
    You know, the British Airborne, circa 1942 had a similar thing. It held seven sten magazines. They called it a sten bandalier. It hung over one shoulder and across the chest. Each magazine had its own individual pouch with a flap/lid. All other gear was carried in a ruck or in pouches on the web gear.

Feedback Score
    Here's is an example of a new light weight armor carrier prototype. There are several out there now, for example the rig DocGKR runs on occasion. This one is single layer 1,000d, no PALS, with an expanded plate pocket to hold 10 x 12 plates. This one is cut for BALCS panels, although any good NIJ kevlar would work. I am making a few for my buds to see how they work out.

The U/L chest rig is designed to fit right over it.

Looking good Diz.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Woah!

I need both the rig and the carrier. Awesome work.
    "Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Feedback Score
    I too would definately like that rig with 5 .308 pouches, but I would prefer it to have drain gommets and the shock cord retainers. I'm not real big on velcro, it's too noisey.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falboy View Post
    I too would definately like that rig with 5 .308 pouches, but I would prefer it to have drain gommets and the shock cord retainers. I'm not real big on velcro, it's too noisey.

Old school snaps? dual length set up to utilize with or without Magpuls.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    If you *really* needed a reload, do you think it would matter?

Feedback Score
    If you just dumped 28 rounds downrange (or 15, or 1) do you really think a little velcro is going to give you away?

Stephen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast