Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Carry Ammo: Federal HST vs. Speer Gold-Dot vs. Underwood Gold-Dot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also "on the list" Doc has written incessantly not to worry about subtle differences in ammunition performance. Pick one on the list you can actually purchase, make sure it cycles, then get some training. You will worry yourself sick searching for a magic bullet that doesn't exist.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Also "on the list" Doc has written incessantly not to worry about subtle differences in ammunition performance. Pick one on the list you can actually purchase, make sure it cycles, then get some training. You will worry yourself sick searching for a magic bullet that doesn't exist.
    Agreed 100%. I like Speer and Hornady, but also have purchased Federal in the past depending on where I live. I think Ayoob's book on Concealed Carry says something about finding out what the local police department carries and going with that as it will be very defensible in court should it ever come to that (it's been several years since I read it so I might be wrong on him saying that). Either way, that seems like a logical move to me.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    I've bought a couple of hundred rounds of Underwood Ammo and have had numerous failures to feed or extract. The calibers were .38 super in a 1911 and the 357 Sig in a Glock 31. I wrote a review of the ammo'svc performance on their website (rated it a 3 star, and it really should have been a 2.5 star) and they didn't post the review....looks like they only post the good reviews. Anyway, I'll stick with tired and true ammo used by the local PDs.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I'm sure it'a already been said in this thread, but it bears repeating.
    Stick with Doc GKR's recommended ammo list, found here: http://preparedgunowners.com/2015/04...ist-pt-3-of-3/ about half way down the page. Go with a reputable manufacturer, i.e., one of the "big-four" such as Remington, Speer, Federal, or Hornady. These companies all have mega-resources and dump tons of time and money into quality control, research, and testing.
    FWIW, I've shot >2,000 rounds (I know, not a huge sample size) of Speer Lawman 124gr in the last 3 years through 3 9mm handguns and not a single failure.
    In that time, I've also shot 150 rounds (50 rounds through each gun) of Gold Dot 124gr +P and it's been perfect. It's my choice, its from a "big four" company, and it's on Doc's list.

Underwood's probably fine, but why risk it?
    Last edited by XD40Colorado; 02-06-16 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    In 45acp, I use winchester ranger t or pdx1. Not a problem with either. My sa trp operator didn't like the tap or federal I tried.

sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 02-11-16 at 07:09.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    In 45acp, I use winchester ranger t or pdx1. Not a problem with either. My sa trp operator didn't like the tap or federal I tried.

sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    The thread is about 9 mm bro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40Colorado View Post
    The thread is about 9 mm bro.
    Yes I know. Other than weight/size is their any difference between 9mm or 45acp with the same bullet? None that I can think of. Guess I won't add any input from now on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My question is since they all expand and penetrate pretty much the same. I would love to see long term testing with different weather and other factors thrown in . My gut tells me if someone were to do this we might see the difference between different weight loads tighten up even more.

Then the only factor between a 147 grn and a 124 grain is the speed of the bullet.

So we have a 147 grain bullet that penetrates around 13" and expands to lets say 0.65 V a 124 grain bullet that penetrates around 13" and expands to around 0.70.

The 147 FPS is around 1000 and the 124 FPS is around 1150 for standard and up to 1250 for +p.

Does the extra velocity play a role?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    My question is since they all expand and penetrate pretty much the same. I would love to see long term testing with different weather and other factors thrown in . My gut tells me if someone were to do this we might see the difference between different weight loads tighten up even more.

Then the only factor between a 147 grn and a 124 grain is the speed of the bullet.

So we have a 147 grain bullet that penetrates around 13" and expands to lets say 0.65 V a 124 grain bullet that penetrates around 13" and expands to around 0.70.

The 147 FPS is around 1000 and the 124 FPS is around 1150 for standard and up to 1250 for +p.

Does the extra velocity play a role?
    I am inclined to agree with you about the findings of a study.

When reading a detailed report concerning a shooting incident I believe it is important to review size and weight of subject, personality of the subject, what kind of drugs were in their system and shot placement. All parameters should be equal to determine which cartridge performed better than another.

A round that expands well in a test medium may not expand well in a violent subject based on where the projectile entered the body and what it struck or passed through inside the body. We can't condemn a certain cartridge if it fails to strike and pass through medium to facilitate expansion.

If a well placed shot with a 147g HP stops a violent subject and a not so well placed shot with a 124g +P HP does not, it would not be a fair comparison of the two cartridges.

I suspect projectile velocity has more to do with attaining desired muzzle energy and reaching the upset threshold of the bullet design. If you increased the velocity of the 147g projectile, you may not see an increase in expansion unless the increase in velocity is significant.

The modern 9mm defensive cartridge design is light years ahead of what it was even 10 years ago and I believe anyone would be well served with a 9mm pistol and a well chosen defensive cartridge.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    To be honest I felt well served for all the years I carried 9mm ball. If shot placement was good, it was good. If shot placement was bad it was bad. The same can be said I think of all firearms. A .50 caliber round to the little toe isn't going to stop someone while a .22 short sent down the ear channel with the barrel screwed in the hole will do the job.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast