Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practical or Retarded?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Steel doesn't seem to work that way like brass. At least not as much. The elasticity isn't there. I've tried sizing down a steel case with a sizing die, and it doesn't want to squeeze back down like brass.
    There's some people that swear you can reload steel. With the material properties I just don't see it, least not in a semi-auto. You might could get away with neck sizing for a bolt action or single shot but I'd be worried about getting appropriate final dimensions on a full length size...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    There's some people that swear you can reload steel. With the material properties I just don't see it, least not in a semi-auto. You might could get away with neck sizing for a bolt action or single shot but I'd be worried about getting appropriate final dimensions on a full length size...
    I tried it just because I read about people doing it. The die setting for brass wouldn't squeeze the steel down enough to get it right. So that was the end of that nonsense.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I run a BCM 14.5 midlength with an H buffer and carbine spring on almost a pure diet of shitty steel cased stuff and it runs fine if I lube the piss out of it.
    Local sources in my area are still selling AE223 for $10.99/bx so **** them, I'll shoot steel.

I think people overthink this stuff. Lube, shoot, rinse repeat.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Sounds more like they did a build party going as cheap as possible.

Oh, I'm sure they could have gone a lot cheaper, re: the dude who's gas block blew up

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I run a BCM 14.5 midlength with an H buffer and carbine spring on almost a pure diet of shitty steel cased stuff and it runs fine if I lube the piss out of it.
    Local sources in my area are still selling AE223 for $10.99/bx so **** them, I'll shoot steel.

I think people overthink this stuff. Lube, shoot, rinse repeat.
    I second this. I might get an occasional failure to lock to rear but even that is rare. Bcm middy. Colt 6920. Sr 15.
    "You get what you pay for"

Feedback Score
    I have at least 3k rounds with a similar CMMG. always ran fine for me. Evan with the 3-400 reloaded steel cases using a Lee full length sizing die and a FCD. Found I could get 3 loads on steel cases before the neck would split. Tried it just to see if it would work.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most likely just post-purchase rationalization. However, if it's only shot with Wolf it'll probably be okay. I'd recommend they at least try an H buffer first, however.

I have an LMT that won't run shitty wolf without popping out the H buffer and replacing with a std car buffer. I wonder what PSA's gas port sizes are.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    16" middy is .078"

Unknown what a Carbine gas runs.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I saw a PSA middy a few years back that was .093. I wouldn't always bet money that they know the size. For the record I have fired well over 3K rounds of Hornady Steel TAP in my SBR's and my carbine that was built with a 6920 barrel. And they all use the Vltor A5. ZERO malfunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    16" middy is .078"

Unknown what a Carbine gas runs.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    There's some people that swear you can reload steel.
    People living east from my location reload steel. But there is a catch. They reload 7.62x39 and 5.45x39. Case shape allows them to do enough sizing to have it work in AKM or AK-75 and generally this shape is also more forgiving on feeding and extraction. I do not imagine this possible with 5.56 or any other (almost) straight wall case.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast