Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practical or Retarded?

Feedback Score
    Thats just sillyness. If they really wanted to calibrate their guns to run steel they would just have bought one buffer of each and ran them in the guns with steel to see if they could run H or H2 in them and then bought 7 more of the best buffer. Instead of buying 8 of the lowest common denominator, that's just lazyness. My middy with an H only shoots Tula steel and i have had zero issues. Im sure they coulda went with a middy with a C buffer or a carbine gun with an H buffer.

Oh well, the shit people do with guns amazes me.
    Buddy at work bought a S&W m&p 15 magpul addition. Wouldnt fit a BAD lever so he bought a troy version and bent it to conform around his lower. Now he wants an adams arms piston conversion for it but it worried it wont fit under his MOE handguard..... So i ask him why are you converting? have you had any issues with the gun? and he says "NO not at all, runs great" when i press him again he says that "it just runs cleaner." Turns out he's ran 200 rounds through it (got it a year ago).....
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm not sure what these military matches or whatever they're shooting are... but I'm wondering why you'd want to shoot some sort of competetive event with the worst possible ammo.

I'd guess that at some point in these shennanigans, accuracy would come into play.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If their guns run well enough to have fun and exercise their freedom, then more power to em'. When their needs change and they want to compete at a higher level or take some high round count classes where such setups might choke, then the need to improve things will come into focus. Hopefully. Dunno how much more enjoyment they'd get from being able to shoot half as much out of a better rifle / ammo setup. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I always wondered who was buying the 10-pack lower specials psa occasionally runs...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    Dunno how much more enjoyment they'd get from being able to shoot half as much out of a better rifle / ammo setup.
    That's my thing. I'd MUCH rather shoot less and shoot good. I've sat in the spotting role when my buddy was shooting 5 MOA crap .308 ammo at 500 yards. It's painful and disturbing to watch those bullets spray everywhere. I wondered if he had his eyes open.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's my thing. I'd MUCH rather shoot less and shoot good. I've sat in the spotting role when my buddy was shooting 5 MOA crap .308 ammo at 500 yards. It's painful and disturbing to watch those bullets spray everywhere. I wondered if he had his eyes open.
    That's really my point though. For some of these fellas, an afternoon of shooting dirt and cheap beer is living the dream. Is it what I'd want? Hell no. But, for them, does it really make sense to get a quality rifle and good ammo? Sure, it would run better and be more accurate. But if they're enjoying themselves I can understand why they're doing what they're doing. Do I want to be around guys doing this type of shooting? Again, no.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... I don't know what the format is... and I don't disagree with their approach. The event may not require MOA ammo. If it works for them, by all means.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I think the solution would be solved with a buffer and the auto components, never had issues going that route with Wolf in all conditions, firing 40-50k rounds of it.

Seems like they just went cheap and their reasoning happens to be on the verge of making sense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Their reasoning does make sense. They defined their mission and configured their carbines to match.

My PSA with the stainless steel middy barrel only shoots steel reliably when using the carbine buffer. Anything heavier and I start to get short stroking
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Had a friend a few years ago who spent a bunch on a XCR, then went and bought the cheapest shit ammo he could find. He was quite miffed when the various shit ammo wouldn't function at all in his new "wonder gun".

Was entertaining though when I grabbed a magazine full that wasn't working for him, and proceeded to rip through it with nary an issue through my BCM 16" mid length. By the way, the buffer I was using at the time was an H2 (what I had at the time.)

Point being, a properly built carbine will work with damned near anything ammo wise. Makes it a wise investment in my book.
    Last edited by friendlyfireisnt; 03-26-14 at 17:48.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast