Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Practical or Retarded?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A cheap rifle to shoot cheap ammo..makes sense if thats what you want. Personally I am the type of person to see that $6-700 investment better used in building a high quality weapon. It would be cheaper to replace the bolt and barrel over the long run after beating it to death with crap ammo. Again thats just me, to each their own.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was able to talk to one of the members of this group today and got a line on what the logic was behind the builds, First they all work for the same employer and don't make a whole lot of money so it took over a year for the group to save the funds for the builds. Second the most they required from these builds was to be reasonably accurate (longest shots being at a 100yd range) and reliable with the cheap low power steel cased ammo they could buy locally from Wal-Mart. With that in mind they next researched what would be the idea component build for the cheapest price possible which could handle their requirements and settled on a few low cost sale items from PSA (Who I detest for shit Q/C & C/S) but they selected a full 16" barreled upper (Then a 2A attached making it 17.5 inches) with a carbine gas system as their research showed this system most times is slightly over gassed which may not be a bad thing for low power steel cased loads. Next they selected a Semi-Auto BCG because one its cheaper to buy and second the carrier weight is less then a F/A carrier which means less mass for the weak pressure steel cased ammo to move. Lastly the standard spring and carbine buffer to allow the once again low powered stuff to cycle even when the gun is a bit dry or dirty. If I recall correctly they finished off the builds with PSA Blem lowers, PSA BlackHawk lower parts kits and PSA 6160 tubes with standard butt stocks.

Now I can see the logic here were a bunch of guys banded together and saved enough pennies to build a rig most likely to function with the cheap ammo they can afford. Now if needed they later bump up the buffer weight and add a extra power buffer spring down the road should the guns cycle a bit hard and that's a very low cost adjustment to a $340.00 home build.

I'll have to keep a eye out to see how these guns function while they participate in a few of the clubs Military Rifle practical matches and while I don't think the builds will win any accuracy awards its sure good enough to have fun with.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 03-26-14 at 18:50.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Looks like those guys should be praised for organized, systematic and open minded approach to achieve their goals. I think that then know their equipment and what to expect from it much better than most people that just throw money to get current best flavour top manufacturer. Definitely not retarded.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    Had a new group of shooters at the club last week who wanted to join the Military Rifle matches and were sighting the rifles in when I noticed all eight AR builds were all identical to each other. So I had to ask how they set up their rifles and got a surprising answer, first all were using a 16" PSA carbine gas length barrels, Semi-Auto carriers, Standard carbine springs and Carbine buffers. When I asked why such a build the leader of the group stated it was to ensure that the rifles would function with any steel cased ammo as that is all they could afford to buy in bulk and brass cased ammunition most likely would never be used.

So is this sound thinking if the owner was only ever going to run steel cased Wolf or Tula out of a recreational rifle or would such a set up batter its self over the long haul. For what it was worth I fired one of the guns and it did not appear to have excessive bolt velocity/recoil and function and ejection seemed normal enough.
    It worked, yes?
    Training was had?
    Good enough. What ill could be said?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234