Thread: a5 Buffer Question

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

a5 Buffer Question

I am putting an Vltor a5 stock on a rifle and wanted to know what buffer would be best

16inch midlength barrel SLR adj gas block

Vltor A5 Stock

JP Spring

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The standard (H2) A5 buffer would be the optimal pick since you have the gas block.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Depends on how you define best.
    No doubt with adjustable gas block your rifle will run with just about any buffer and most ammo, except possibly with super weak 223, not quality 223.
    A case can be made for trying a buffer lighter than an H2, as you can dial down the gas, to obtain a softer recoil/less movement, which would be useful in competition.
    Still need to make sure it locks open on last round with weakest ammo you plan to run.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The standard (H2) A5 buffer would be the optimal pick since you have the gas block.
    As Mark said, start with the std A5H2.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My way of looking at it is this... you'd go H3 or H4 to compensate for something you CAN NOT change... fixed port size with a silencer, etc.

If you can control the gas flow. Hit it straight down the fairway with the H2.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My way of looking at it is this... you'd go H3 or H4 to compensate for something you CAN NOT change... fixed port size with a silencer, etc.

If you can control the gas flow. Hit it straight down the fairway with the H2.
    Perfect way of stating exactly what my view is as well. If you have the ability to restrict gas flow, keep with the std buffer. If you don't, that's what the other buffers are for.

I consider myself relatively experienced in the various A5 buffers and use the heavier ones in my guns...but they have std FSB's or gas blocks. Run the H2 and feel the goodness.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Vltor A5H2 to start with then try A5H3 with the Green Rifle Spring for Cans.

I sold the A5 Stock but kept the A5 extension and A5H2 buffer and standard rifle spring.

I went back to my B5 Enhanced Stock using the A5 setup.

My rifle has the PRI front sight and gas block.

Runs sweet in My rifle MK 12 Mod 0

I thought about going to a Tubbs Flat Wire CS buffer spring for Long life.........maybe!
    Last edited by Alaska3006; 05-02-14 at 23:24.