Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for basic training

Feedback Score

Preparing for basic training

Hey all, signed with the army going to meps to pick my MOS on Monday, depending on what I pick determines where I go for BCT, what all should I do to prepare? I leave in June after I graduate, I already run 2 miles a day and work chest and abs every day, arms and squats alternating days, what other things do you recommend? Any advise for me?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    First of all, thank you for your desire to serve your country.

Things I would do:

1. Grow a thick skin. Nothing they do is personal, don't make it personal.

2. You will lose every pissing contest you start. You will lose the ones you don't start, too.

3. Do pushups. Then do more pushups.

4. Be able to run at least 4 miles, not just 2. I'd recommend being able to do 5 miles, but do not injure yourself preparing.

5. Have complete strangers scream at you for a while.

6. Get everything in writing.

Good luck, and thanks again.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Active duty? There are a few threads on here from the last year or two with similar topics so be sure to take a look at them. Any MOS you are thinking of in particular? I spent a few short years in the infantry before commissioning into logistics. You have to define what you want from the military - whether you plan to make it a career or you just want to serve, get paid to learn a skill, etc. Those should determine what you choose for your MOS. But at the end of the day there is the infantry, and then there is everything that supports the infantry. It still hurts my heart to talk about "supporting the warfighter."
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-26-14 at 22:40.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    First of all, thank you for your desire to serve your country.

Things I would do:

1. Grow a thick skin. Nothing they do is personal, don't make it personal.

2. You will lose every pissing contest you start. You will lose the ones you don't start, too.

3. Do pushups. Then do more pushups.

4. Be able to run at least 4 miles, not just 2. I'd recommend being able to do 5 miles, but do not injure yourself preparing.

5. Have complete strangers scream at you for a while.

6. Get everything in writing.

Good luck, and thanks again.
    ^ This.

Incorporate ruck marches into your workout routine as well. Nothing will prepare you for rucking, but rucking itself. Never be the last or first man to volunteer. Do not be a spotlight ranger (THAT GUY). Prepare yourself to go to sleep late and get up early. If you don't have OCD now, you better pick it up; don't fight the inevitable. Don't give anyone access to your money unless they absolutely need to. Don't be that guy after graduation who goes and spends all his saved up money, and definitely don't be that guy who falls for that 18% interest guaranteed financing for a brand new car outside of base. Stay away from women within a 10 miles radius of whatever duty station you happen to go to, 70% chance of them being another soldiers wife or significant other and a 30% chance of catching something you don't want to keep. After BCT, find out everything you can about tuition assistance, and USE it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Up the mileage. Start building up your reps on pushups and sit ups. I wouldn't do the ruck marches at this point, you are two months out, if you work it too hard with the ruck marching you can hurt yourself. Most guys just show up for basic, so if you have been working out you are a leg up.

This is just me, but if I was joining today I'd look into 18X (SF enlistment program) which would get you 11 series (infantry), jump school, special ops prep course, and a shot at the SF assessment course, then if you hammer that, you get a chance at the Q course, after the Q course I'd choose 18D - med sergeant, which is another 13 months. Then you either stay in or get out and become a PA or NA.

The bitch would be if you bolo'ed SOPC or SFAS.

But that's just me.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-26-14 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    catch up on sleep, now as you won't get any there. get used to eating bland tasteless food in a hurry. run everywhere, then hydrate, then run again. have someone wake you up at random intervals and scream at you for minor details both real and imagined. learn to go to your own personal place while still paying attention. learn to listen, and when you think you have mastered listening, realize you are now ready to learn to listen. learn to make a positive impression while not being seen or noticed. run some more.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Unless you want your skillset to be "I know how to shoot, camp, talk on a radio, and clean things", which equals "I know how to clean things" as far as civilian talents, consider taking the highest skill job that interests you. I say this in the full confidence knowing anybody who wants to be an 11B isn't going to take this advice, and anybody who will could use it.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Get laid. Nail your girlfriend, then her sister, then her friends. Just don't stop.

It's probably the only thing you'll regret not doing before you take on the life of involuntary abstinence.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    MEPS sucks. Run, ruck or no ruck go take a 7+ mile hike, focus on having a perfect PFT before you ship.

Feedback Score
    What I've read so far are all reasonable things to consider. As mentioned, there are other threads available here that may help to give you a few tips and perhaps muddy the water.

My info is ancient (BCT 1/77) but I do remember a couple quirky things FWIW:

1) a kid had a tooth that was bothering him early on and he kept ignoring it, fearing he would miss training and get recycled. He hoped it would get better and ended up with an abscess and a lot of grief. So maybe a visit to the dentist in the next month or so to make sure you don't have any looming problems. You will likely get a cursory oral exam/xrays in the first few days but it is probably best to take a preventive approach if you're at all prone to dental issues. Funny how we remember odd things about basic.

2) The footgear of the time really bugged my feet and it took weeks to get used to jogging/running in boots and humping out to the range and back. I often thought it would have been a good idea to buy a pair at a surplus store prior to heading to FLW to make sure of my size and to do PT in them (like you're doing). Moleskin was helpful, stick a few sheets in your Dopp kit. Take care of your feet.

Good luck and just do what you're told.

kiwi57

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    Hey all, signed with the army going to meps to pick my MOS on Monday, depending on what I pick determines where I go for BCT, what all should I do to prepare? I leave in June after I graduate, I already run 2 miles a day and work chest and abs every day, arms and squats alternating days, what other things do you recommend? Any advise for me?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast