Thread: Red Dot Off Center..parallax?

Feedback Score

Red Dot Off Center..parallax?

I just got my first red dot which is a Primary Arms MD-06L. When I look through the optic with my left eye (I'm left eye dominant), the red dot is off center to the left of the FSP but when I switch to right handed and look through the optic with my right eye, it's right in the middle. When looking through with my left eye, the only way to get the dot in the middle of the optic is to shift my head a little to the right which a.) affects cheek weld and b.) makes the FOV through the optic glass off center.. Is there something that I'm doing wrong here?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Did you zero it? Look through buis with red dot on and adjust the dot till it is centered in buis. Then shoot and see where it lands.
    Last edited by chef8489; 06-09-14 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by llO0DQLE View Post
    Is there something that I'm doing wrong here?
    Yes. Focus on the target & not the dot. The dot should be superimposed over the target as you're looking at the target. Don't worry about where it lies within the tube. You can place it anywhere by moving your head around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Did you zero it? Look through buis with red dot on and adjust the dot till it is centered in buis. Then shoot and see where it lands.
    I haven't zeroed it yet. I wondered if I should touch the adjustment before actually shooting it.. I have it set up for lower 1/3 co-witness so I look over my BUIS when looking through the optic. If I look through the rear irons, I see the red dot closer to the middle and it sits right on top of the front sight post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Yes. Focus on the target & not the dot. The dot should be superimposed over the target as you're looking at the target. Don't worry about where it lies within the tube. You can place it anywhere by moving your head around.

I do focus on the target, it's just that I noticed that the dot is on the left of the FOV with my normal cheek weld position/normal shooting stance and point of aim; and noted that when holding the rifle right handed, the dot is centered. I just thought that it's weird that it's not centered and why the dot would shift positions with left vs right stance..

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If it isn't zeroed, don't worry about it yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    if the dot sits right on the fsp when looking through the buis i would go ahead and zero the optic. once zeroed you just focus on the target and place dot on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by llO0DQLE View Post
    I do focus on the target, it's just that I noticed that the dot is on the left of the FOV with my normal cheek weld position/normal shooting stance and point of aim; and noted that when holding the rifle right handed, the dot is centered. I just thought that it's weird that it's not centered and why the dot would shift positions with left vs right stance..
    My guess then is that your cheek weld between your left & right stance isn't exactly symmetrical with one another. There's possibly a slight variation in your head position between the two.
    I know mine isn't but I'm not a big switch hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    My guess then is that your cheek weld between your left & right stance isn't exactly symmetrical with one another. There's possibly a slight variation in your head position between the two.
    I know mine isn't but I'm not a big switch hitter.

Actually, I played around with it again and I think you're right. I find that if my butt stock is closer to my shoulder, and my stance is a bit more bladed, then I find that I'm tilting my head more to the left and the dot is off to the left. If I move the stock more to my center line and stand more squared off, then I can get the red dot more centered. I think I just need to play around with it more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If it isn't zeroed, don't worry about it yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll see what happens after I zero it.