Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for basic training

Feedback Score
    Congratulations on your decision. I held off recommending an MOS as I had no idea about your interests/background, but I think you will be quite pleased being a Blackhawk crew chief. I flew DUSTOFF as a Huey flight medic (91B2F), serving in West Germany from 77-80. Flight crews can get really tight, I still keep in touch with a crew chief that I flew with. During my limited (and now dated) experience, army aviation companies had a good measure of esprit de corps and high standards. We rejected 2 out of every 3 medics that were assigned to our unit and I think there was a similar winnowing process for crew chiefs (only the best got to fly, as I recall). Can't have marginal people working on aircraft.

The pilots (WO and commissioned) gave the enlisted members of the flight crews a great deal of respect once we earned it. You might consider looking into a DUSTOFF assignment when you finish AIT. You will have a fulfilling mission in times of war and peace. Flying in helicopters is a kick in the pants (look up NOE), and you get hazardous duty pay with 'separate rations' if you are on flight status (unless things have changed). The benefits far outweigh the risks, in my opinion.

kiwi57

aptitude
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    15T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Aviation is a good field, but you're going into Army Aviation, which is a little different than normal Aviation. In my experience, the Army tends to treat aircraft as flying trucks. Never forget, helicopters are aircraft. The difference is, when something in an aircraft quits working, it doesn't just roll to a stop at the side pf the road, it falls out of the sky and hits hard. Forget to torque the lugnuts on a truck, a tire falls off, bends the frame and crumples a fender and comes to a stop. Forget to torque the bolts on the tail rotor shaft of a helicopter and it will break loose, cut the tail boom off, destroys the main rotor transmission and main rotor blades, shakes and spins everything violently and turns into a fiery mess along with everyone on board. I'm not saying the Army can't maintain aircraft- they can. It's just that in my experience, the Army's attitude towards aviation is different. This isn't to take anything away from the job our soldiers do. Once we civilians did all the major maintenance on the helicopters, it was the soldiers who went with them overseas into harm's way, not me.

If you're going to make aviation a career, go to college and be more than a repairer. Get a degree in Aerospace Engineering or Aviation Maintenance Management or something. Embry Riddle is a good college to look into. While doing your job, learn the tech manuals inside and out. Learn the troubleshooting tree, know where to find the tasks you'll be performing and know where to start reading and where to stop. Get yourself a brain book. Before signing off on your tasks, write the entries in your brain book including the maintenance manual references that covered what you did.

While in basic training, learn the unwritten rules. In basic, we had to keep our footlockers in inspection condition at all times. Underclothes, socks etc. had to be folded and ironed into perfect little squares. Toothbrushes, razors and toiletries had to be squeaky clean and properly displayed. I learned too late that you didn't use your display items. You bought an extra toothbrush and razor and kept them on your "personal items" side and ditched them before any inspections. You got extra uniforms and underclothes and didn't wear the uniforms and under clothes kept on display. You learned to put extra clothing items in the laundry before inspections. Kind of a pain but it's all part of the game.

Best thing I did in basic was learn to be a duck. When ever they started hollering and getting all up in my face, I just let it roll off my back, like water off a duck. Stay calm and always take a moment before answering or acting. Don't let them them get you flustered. Stay centered, pay attention, do your best and you'll be fine. Best of luck and thanks for being willing to serve
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-31-14 at 07:15.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I scanned through and didn't see anyone put this if someone has my mistake.

KEEP ALL MEDICAL RECORDS!! Copy everything and document whenever you have an issue . Your health is important and small things can lead to more severe problems later on and if you want to make sure when you are finally out that any medical problems you have are covered when you return to civilian life this would be wise to do.To keep a long story short I got blown up in Iraq no I didn't receive shrapnel I was untouched just badly rattled and had some aches . I was kinda checked over but as being in combat and in a bad situation I pushed on and was fine. I experienced back pain more and more as time went on and re enlisted because I was a hard charger. 2 years into my second enlistment my spine falls apart . I can only assume that had I got out I would have no medical care or a large amount of bills because there was no documentation of the blast. I did however note during my second enlistment my back pain. I can longer walk and when I am finally retired all my expenses will be paid for but they might not have been had I got out. Because I didn't keep my records and if you think your corpsman or whoever will good luck with that. God bless and good luck you never experience what I have.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REdruM0351 View Post
    I scanned through and didn't see anyone put this if someone has my mistake.

KEEP ALL MEDICAL RECORDS!! Copy everything and document whenever you have an issue . Your health is important and small things can lead to more severe problems later on and if you want to make sure when you are finally out that any medical problems you have are covered when you return to civilian life this would be wise to do.To keep a long story short I got blown up in Iraq no I didn't receive shrapnel I was untouched just badly rattled and had some aches . I was kinda checked over but as being in combat and in a bad situation I pushed on and was fine. I experienced back pain more and more as time went on and re enlisted because I was a hard charger. 2 years into my second enlistment my spine falls apart . I can only assume that had I got out I would have no medical care or a large amount of bills because there was no documentation of the blast. I did however note during my second enlistment my back pain. I can longer walk and when I am finally retired all my expenses will be paid for but they might not have been had I got out. Because I didn't keep my records and if you think your corpsman or whoever will good luck with that. God bless and good luck you never experience what I have.
    Absolutely - Sorry I forgot this one. Having said this, it includes ALL and ANY paperwork the Army EVER GIVES YOU TIL THE DAY YOU DIE. You'd be amazed at how many letters I've had to write to help soldiers get documents they should have kept in the first place....
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Not just medical records, but copy or scan EVERYTHING! I'm going through hell with the VA now 20 years later. They even claimed I was never in combat because it was before GWOT. Copy everything, and make copies of your 201 and 2A every opportunity. Keep it on a secure thumb drive. Keep copies of your pays tubs, awards, hand receipts, statements of charges, everything. You can thank me in 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    Keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

Give everything your best effort.

Make no excuses.

After bootcamp, live like a monk and save every penny. This is the one time in your life that everything you need will be provided, and you will be paid. If you are smart, you will take everything free the Army offers, save every penny they pay you, and leave with a fat bank account. If you are stupid, you'll most likely separate from the Army after your first enlistment in debt with a car that was cool four years ago on which you owe more than it's worth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tkoglman View Post
    Keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

Give everything your best effort.

Make no excuses.

After bootcamp, live like a monk and save every penny. This is the one time in your life that everything you need will be provided, and you will be paid. If you are smart, you will take everything free the Army offers, save every penny they pay you, and leave with a fat bank account. If you are stupid, you'll most likely separate from the Army after your first enlistment in debt with a car that was cool four years ago on which you owe more than it's worth.
    Thankfully I already have my car paid off from my current and summer jobs! But I plan on making a career of it, going to college and becoming an officer

Feedback Score
    If you're going for a commission, combat arms is a good place to start as an EM, and 11 bang-bang is as combat arms as it gets. Learn to embrace the push-up and be able ro drop and knock out 75-100 at a time even though you'll probably never be required to do that many at one time except on a PT test. Run!! Show and be able to maintain a motivated attitude even when you're dead tired; cold, wet, etc, but not to the point of silliness that could be construed as trying to cause trouble. Be a team player. They will appoint squad leaders and platoon guides from the recruits. You may or may not be one. You must, however be a good follower if you're not in a leadership position. Be professional. I know Army basic has changed since I went thru a bunch of years ago, but there has been some good advice posted on this thread. And do keep copies if everything for your entire career. Best wishes.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Last edited by walkin' trails; 04-01-14 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another thing prolly a little late for you I bought a pair of the boots I was going to get issued been hiking, marching, walking my ass off in them in an attempt to get blisters out of the way.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast