View Poll Results: What Lubricant has worked best in your experience?

Voters
546. You may not vote on this poll
  • HOPPE'S ELITE GUN OIL

7 1.28%
  • BREAK-FREE CLP

79 14.47%
  • IOSSO ELIMINATOR TRIPLE ACTION OIL

0 0%
  • M-PRO 7 GUN OIL

22 4.03%
  • FIRE CLEAN

129 23.63%
  • SLIP 2000

173 31.68%
  • MILITEC-1

20 3.66%
  • FROGLUBE CLP

96 17.58%
  • RAND CLP

16 2.93%
  • KANO LABS - KROIL

4 0.73%
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubrication in 2014? Too many damn choices.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc3 View Post
    This was my experience as well.
    Ditto! It gives the illusion of working if the part has dirty lube on it already. But a bone dry carbon baked part??? Ha!... Not one molecule comes off.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Been using motor oil exclusively for lubrication for quite some time now. It's cheap and works perfectly.
    America is not at war... The U.S. Military is at war... America is at the mall.
    I love cigars!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post
    Been using motor oil exclusively for lubrication for quite some time now. It's cheap and works perfectly.
    My problem with it was that it wouldn't stay there long enough. I wonder if a heavier Gear oil would have more staying ability.... or if it would be too thick.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My problem with it was that it wouldn't stay there long enough. I wonder if a heavier Gear oil would have more staying ability.... or if it would be too thick.
    Never tried it on my ARs; but white lithium grease has been great for my AKs - not that any particular type of lube is all that enlightening in their case.

An AK will often find itself as a "truck gun" here in the Vegas summers, and I have yet to experience any issues with the lithium grease staying put or drying out.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I used to use lithium grease on my bolt guns. It would get really tacky once you fired a few rounds suppressed and it didn't want to run fast. It would almost bind up on me. Never tried it on an AK or AR. It sounds good on paper though for summer use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTL BRN View Post
    Never tried it on my ARs; but white lithium grease has been great for my AKs
    When I was using motor oil as a lube, I'd use high temp grease on the cam pin so that when the oil inevitably ran dry, the cam pin still had something going for it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wonder if a heavier Gear oil would have more staying ability.... or if it would be too thick.
    You don't want the smell of gear oil on your gun. That is one awfull smell and the shit wont wash off your hands.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good point. I'm not leaving froglube anyway.... just notionalizing outloud I guess.

Feedback Score
    I use lithium grease. I haven't noticed a difference between high temp and standard.

I put a thin amount of grease on things that slide or are impacted (ex. bolts, carriers, hammer faces) and some light oil on things that rotate. (FCG pins, selectors, exterior surfaces) Springs will get smeared a little with grease if easy to get to, or get a drop of oil if hard to reach.

I do this will all firearms and have had no problems.

The oil I use is whatever light gun specific oil I have. But I realize it doesn't need to be.

You can lube how you want just don't do anything stupid and your guns will be happy.

Examples of stupid things to do (Any gun) :

-WD-40..
    -No lube
    -Lubing ammo
    -Lubing chambers
    -Lubing firing pins and firing pin channels (If a tiny bit of oil gets in there no big deal, but don't let crap build up in there!)
    -Putting light lube inside the action and letting the gun sit for years. (Turns to varnish)

Any others?

I think the list of what NOT to do reference lubrication is much shorter than what is "fine/good" to do.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-05-14 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    I've used motor oil on AK's. Should be just fine, though it will run out like all oils.

Hell no on the gear oil! Oh it might work but it will stink up you and your house. Now differential friction modifier is what you want...(Just kidding it's far worse, think skunk)

Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast