View Poll Results: What Lubricant has worked best in your experience?

Voters
546. You may not vote on this poll
  • HOPPE'S ELITE GUN OIL

7 1.28%
  • BREAK-FREE CLP

79 14.47%
  • IOSSO ELIMINATOR TRIPLE ACTION OIL

0 0%
  • M-PRO 7 GUN OIL

22 4.03%
  • FIRE CLEAN

129 23.63%
  • SLIP 2000

173 31.68%
  • MILITEC-1

20 3.66%
  • FROGLUBE CLP

96 17.58%
  • RAND CLP

16 2.93%
  • KANO LABS - KROIL

4 0.73%
Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubrication in 2014? Too many damn choices.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You mean to tell me you don't soak your 556 prior to a range day?

Just kidding of course.

I think the great thing about the advancement of the industry and specific components, right down to the lubes, is a great thing. I love the fact that there is so much competition out there that drives great companies to continue to innovate. (Of course that also brings out the snakes and trolls, but thanks to communities such as this, they don't typically last long at all.)

What if Eugene Stoner had said "man, the musket is good enough for me..."?

Well, he didn't and we've been kicking ass all over the globe with his innovation for a long time now.

I hope everyone can see my point clearly.

Again, I am an avid FrogLube user and have had great results. Not your cup of tea? Awesome...go use the stuff you like.

That's one of the many things left to love about 'Murica.

Sent from my awesome iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Examples of stupid things to do (Any gun) :
    -Lubing firing pins and firing pin channels (If a tiny bit of oil gets in there no big deal, but don't let crap build up in there!)
    Per TM 9-1005-319-10, you are supposed to put a light coat of oil on your firing pin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post
    Been using motor oil exclusively for lubrication for quite some time now. It's cheap and works perfectly.
    I have been using common motor oil and grease to lubricate working firearms for over 35 years.

Pick something that works, use it, and don't overthink it.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Still debating lube are we?

I think we can all agree, as long as there is lube, and the gun runs..... who cares?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I use lithium grease. I haven't noticed a difference between high temp and standard.

I put a thin amount of grease on things that slide or are impacted (ex. bolts, carriers, hammer faces) and some light oil on things that rotate. (FCG pins, selectors, exterior surfaces) Springs will get smeared a little with grease if easy to get to, or get a drop of oil if hard to reach.

I do this will all firearms and have had no problems.

The oil I use is whatever light gun specific oil I have. But I realize it doesn't need to be.

You can lube how you want just don't do anything stupid and your guns will be happy.

Examples of stupid things to do (Any gun) :

-WD-40..
    -No lube
    -Lubing ammo
    -Lubing chambers
    -Lubing firing pins and firing pin channels (If a tiny bit of oil gets in there no big deal, but don't let crap build up in there!)
    -Putting light lube inside the action and letting the gun sit for years. (Turns to varnish)

Any others?

I think the list of what NOT to do reference lubrication is much shorter than what is "fine/good" to do.
    I always put a generous coat on my firing pin and all over the BCG. It has worked well for me so far.

I've been integrating FireClean into my various weapons for the past month or so. I did my Colt Rail Gun a week or two ago and when am noticing that when working the slide back, it is the smoothest I've ever felt it. Both of my ARs have stayed wet too - a first in my experience.
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-05-14 at 19:47.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    What turns me off to Fireclean is my understanding (or lack thereof) that you don't want to mix fireclean with other lubes.
    What if you're in a SHTF position, and need to quickly add lube in a pinch, and fireclean isn't available??

You lube up with a generic CLP...mixing with your wet fireclean BCG...does it bind? Gum up?
    No...I'm not crazy - and neither AM I !! Next question!!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I haven't heard of mixing causing any problems, it just won't be as effective at keeping the carbon from getting baked on.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My problem with it was that it wouldn't stay there long enough. I wonder if a heavier Gear oil would have more staying ability.... or if it would be too thick.
    I am going to preface this by stating that I don't believe motor oil to be the best gun lube out there. I do think its a solid choice - much better than other gun lubes like hoppes9 or remoil...

I lubed this in July of last year - its been sitting next to my bed since(I've been focusing on pistols - DONT JUDGE!). Its not soaking wet, but the surface is slick from the "dried up" oil still on there - it still wets your finger if you wipe it. Plenty to get you through a few hundred rounds (done it). Another few drops in the lube hole will get it right back where it should be.

I will say, I'm going to try lithium grease on my M&P rails, fcg, and other contact points. If I used my rifle as much as my pistol, I would possibly opt for something better. I have shot up near 500rds In the rifle without issue - not a lot- just the most I've done without cleaning. Its Valvoline high milage blend in the dark red bottle- 5w30 fwiw.

From what I've read - the best car oil for guns is ATF.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-05-14 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Still debating lube are we?

I think we can all agree, as long as there is lube, and the gun runs..... who cares?
    I check this thread every day because I'm absolutely fascinated at how adamant people are regarding not only what lubrication they use, but what everyone else should. A Psychology student could write their thesis on this.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thei3ug View Post
    I check this thread every day because I'm absolutely fascinated at how adamant people are regarding not only what lubrication they use, but what everyone else should. A Psychology student could write their thesis on this.
    Put some Froglube on it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast