Thread: CCW and a non-carrying spouse?

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

CCW and a non-carrying spouse?

Hi - my name is john, and I live in Illinois:(

Living in this hell-hole called Illinois, and being in my 7th decade - I'm a bit of a latecomer to the CCW game. OTOH - having taught martial arts & defensive tactics for 20 years, I do have a leg up on the whole concept of awareness, situational dominance, etc., etc. Also - having been through various classes at places light Gunsite, BW, Midwest Tactical, Spartan Tactical, etc. - I have an above average ability with both a handgun and a carbine.

My question..... Can someone give me some links to websites that might discuss TTPs for 'couples' out in public - where one is carrying (that would be me) and one is not (my wife)? If it matters - my wife is one of the highest dan-ranked women in our state in the style we used to teach, so her situational awareness and h2h combat skills are noteworthy. However, she is also no spring chicken either:) I'm looking for things like....

1) shooter & non-shooter take position behind cover (or concealment if that is all there is)

2) shooter controls the area immediately in front of their position, while non-shooter checks their 6 while phoning 911 on cell.

3) (in our case) non-shooter will take CRKT M16 folder from my rear pocket as backup. (Yes - she is trained in and has taught bladework)

etc., etc., etc.

Any and all suuggestions greatly appreciated. - john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Got quite the side kick there! My wife is no where near that level or any level for that matter. Which is my fault.
    Will follow thread for other advice, but this is how we roll.

1) Yes, 1st rule of a gun fight is cover or concealment

2) No, shooter & side kick visually search for exit path (path should already be known by S.A.)

3) in my case No, side kick is precious cargo. It gets told what to do & does it without question.

Of course our plan is super generic but that will allow for variables. CCW is for getting your people out. Shooter engages as needed to leave area. Once in safe area, call 911. That doesn't mean I wouldn't go back in, it just means my family is priority one. Big thing to me is to have ANY plan as long as everybody is on same page and knows their roles.

Feedback Score
    Well for starters I don't have any websites to point you towards. However, being in a similar situation in that I CCW and my wife does not, not yet at least, I'll give my 2 cents.

I would first of all begin by having your wife always remain on your non-dominate side while walking next to you in public. That way if for some reason you do in fact have to draw your firearm she will not be in the way. I realize that your wife has a great deal of training but stress and fear does unexpected things to people, your don't want her suddenly clinging to you arm while you're trying to draw your pistol.

That being said, I would also say that given the event that you not only draw but have to fire, you need to know exactly she is at all times. I've read about techniques that say that the non-shooter grab on to the rear of the shooters belt at the small of the back and they move as a unit. This would obviously take practice and coordination but that way you essentially control your wife's movements, you know where she is, and in the unfortunate event of return fire, your body can shield her. Not sure if this is anything you would consider but I figured its worth the thought.

The final thing I have is with your last point. The plan where your wife would take the knife from your back pocket as a means of self-defense. IMO I would throw that idea away. There are too many things that could take place to keep her from doing that quickly and successfully. When things go bad they go bad quick, you'll be moving, she'll be moving, so what if she cant get to the knife in your pocket, now she is unarmed and separated from you? If she has taught classes on and is trained in proper bladed weapons manipulation why wouldn't she just carry her own knife?

Anyway, I'm no expert but you asked for some input so there's mine. Good luck,
    USMC 2011-Present