Thread: Safariland holster - which weapon lights will fit?

Feedback Score

Safariland holster - which weapon lights will fit?

I was recently hired on by a local agency and I'm in the process of rounding up the gear I will need for duty. It's part-time, so they are only supplying uniforms and vests, not duty gear. Anyway, I have a Safariland duty holster that I purchased several years ago while I was still in the academy and I need to know if any modern weapon lights will fit. The part number for the holster is 6280-832-131, and it is for Glock 17/22 handguns with or without Insight Technology M3 Tactical Illuminator Light. I found Safariland's "Will Fit Chart, but it doesn't give me any more information than was on the package the holster came in.

I have a Glock 17 and I was planning on picking up a Streamlight TLR-1 HL or Surefire X300 Ultra for it (leaning toward the TLR-1 HL). Will either of these fit in my holster? The dimensions I found for the TLR-1 HL are smaller than the dimensions of the ITI M3 so that's a good sign. I'd just like to be sure before I buy.

Not to get too far off track, but are there any other weapon lights I should take a look at? I've looked at the Inforce APL, Streamlight TLR-1, TLR-1S, and TLR-1 HL, and Surefire x300 and x300 Ultra. I ruled out the Inforce APL based on it's light output vs runtime... I can get that level of output with significantly more runtime from the TLR-1/1S or X300 (which means I won't have to change batteries as often), or significantly more output with relatively the same runtime from the TLR-1 HL or X300 Ultra. Given that 95% of my patrol time will be outside in rural wooded areas, I think the higher output of the TLR-1 HL or X300 Ultra is a good idea. Between those two, I like the mounting system of the TLR-1 HL better (no, that's not a typo). I do like the wider spill pattern and softer fade of the X300 Ultra for room clearing, but since I'll rarely be in that position in this particular job I think the extra distance the TLR-1 HL's more concentrated beam gives will be more beneficial for me. And if I find the light's too bright or the beam doesn't spill enough it will just find a new home on top of my AR. Anything wrong with my logic?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It will fit the TLR series, not the x300. Keep in mind that the holster will not keep the weapon secure unless the light is attached.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I'm assuming the TLRs fit because the overall dimensions are smaller than the M3? Have you actually used a TLR in this specific holster? I'm just wondering how well it fits, or it's a little tighter or looser fitting than normal.

Also, would the X300 fit if the end cap was removed from the holster, allowing the bezel to protrude slightly out the bottom? I'm assuming the issue here is with the length of the X300 being longer than the M3.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Guys I've worked with have used it. I think the M3 and TLR are almost the exact same size. The length of the x300 is definitely an issue for the holster. I'm not sure about the rest of the dimensions.