Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Noveske Sisters; Last of the Gen IIs

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

The Noveske Sisters; Last of the Gen IIs

I built these two rifles playing up the slight distinction between Noveske's names for their 16" barrels, Light Recce and Recon. I wanted one to be a go-to/jack-of-all-trades rifle and one to be a dedicated long(ish) range rifle to learn precision shooting with while still being wieldable (inspiration due to Trident for the Recon build). The distinction between builds is slight and mostly due to optic selection but I tried to select parts to compliment the optic and barrel choices given the rifles intended roles.

The new Gen III Noveskes are nice but I have a thing for the Gen IIs, especially the flared forged lowers and the [I]forged[I] Vltor/Noveske MURs. RogTac hooked me up on both in the last batch he got before the Gen III uppers shipped.

Light Recce
    Upper:
    -Factory 16" Light Recce, mid-length gas barreled Gen II upper w/ 15" NSR and factory headspaced bolt
    -LMT E-carrier, gen 5
    -AXTS/Rainier Raptor charging handle, Noveske marked
    -KAC MAMS
    -Kahles K16i 1-6x24 SM2 (SFP, illuminated 2moa center dot, mil-hash elevation ladder) w/ Butler Creek caps
    -BOBRO 30mm extended QD mount
    -Magpul MBUS Pros
    -Surefire Mini Scout w/ SR04 switch in Noveske keymod scout mount
    -IWC keymod handstop W/ NSR rail panels (soon to be replaced with BCMs keymod vert. grip)
    -IWC keymod QD sling mount

Lower
    -Gen II flared forged lower (chainsaw)
    -Geissele SD-C trigger
    -BAD CASS 45* short throw, long/short
    -UCWRG Grip 23
    -IWC QD end plate, Vltor castle nut
    -Vltor A5 reciever extension w/ A5H3 and Springco green
    -Magpul STR w/ extended buttpad
    -BAD Enhanced Pin Set
    -Colt mag catch, bolt catch, springs and detents

Accessories:
    -Blue Force Gear VCAS w/ IWC 2to1 conversion and Midwest Industries Flush HD QD swivels
    -30rd mags with MagPods (when they are released).

Recon

Upper:
    -Factory 16" Recon, mid-length gas barreled Gen II upper w/ 15" NSR and factory headspaced bolt.
    -LMT E-carrier, gen 5
    -KAC MAMS
    -Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 mil w/ Butler Creek caps
    -US Optics Anti Cant Device bubble level
    -KAC micro BUIS, 200-600m rear
    -Trijicon RM06 mounted at 45*
    -Burkett Gen 2 offset reflex sight mount (wings removed)
    -Harris 6"-9" mounted on PWS keymod bipod mount (to be replaced when Atlas releases keymod bipod)
    -NSR rail panels

Lower:
    -Gen II flared forged lower
    -Geissele SD-E trigger
    -Magpul MOE + grip
    -Magpul STR w/ extended buttpad (might replace w/ LMTs new SPR stock when released)
    -BAD Enhanced Pin Set

--Accessories:
    -Blue Force Gear VCAS w/ IWC 2to1 conversion and IWC QD swivels
    -20rd mags
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 04-06-14 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Very nice pair! How do you like the Vortex 2.5-10?

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post

I built these two rifles playing up the slight distinction between Noveske's names for their 16" barrels, Light Recce and Recon. I wanted one to be a go-to/jack-of-all-trades rifle and one to be a dedicated long(ish) range rifle to learn precision shooting with while still being wieldable (inspiration due to Trident for the Recon build). The distinction between builds is slight and mostly due to optic selection but I tried to select parts to compliment the optic and barrel choices given the rifles intended roles.

The new Gen III Noveskes are nice but I have a thing for the Gen IIs, especially the flared forged lowers and the [I]forged[I] Vltor/Noveske MURs. RogTac hooked me up on both in the last batch he got before the Gen III uppers shipped.

Light Recce
    Upper:
    -Factory 16" Light Recce, mid-length gas barreled Gen II upper w/ 15" NSR and factory headspaced bolt
    -LMT E-carrier, gen 5
    -KAC MAMS
    -Kahles K16i 1-6x24 SM2 (SFP, illuminated 2moa center dot, mil-hash elevation ladder) w/ Butler Creek caps
    -Magpul MBUS Pros
    -Surefire Mini Scout w/ SR04 switch in Noveske keymod scout mount
    -IWC keymod handstop W/ NSR rail panels (soon to be replaced with BCMs keymod vert. grip)

Lower
    -Gen II flared forged lower (chainsaw)
    -Geissele SD-C trigger
    -UCWRG Grip 23
    -Magpul STR w/ extended buttpad
    -BAD Enhanced Pin Set

Accessories:
    -Blue Force Gear VCAS w/ IWC 2to1 conversion and Midwest Industries Flush HD QD swivels
    -30rd mags with MagPods (when they are released).

Recon

Upper:
    -Factory 16" Recon, mid-length gas barreled Gen II upper w/ 15" NSR and factory headspaced bolt.
    -LMT E-carrier, gen 5
    -KAC MAMS
    -Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 mil w/ Butler Creek caps
    -US Optics Anti Cant Device bubble level
    -KAC micro BUIS, 200-600m rear
    -Trijicon RM06 mounted at 45*
    -Burkett Gen 2 offset reflex sight mount (wings removed)
    -Harris 6"-9" mounted on PWS keymod bipod mount (to be replaced when Atlas releases keymod bipod)
    -NSR rail panels

Lower:
    -Gen II flared forged lower
    -Geissele SD-E trigger
    -Magpul MOE + grip
    -Magpul STR w/ extended buttpad (might replace w/ LMTs new SPR stock when released)
    -BAD Enhanced Pin Set

--Accessories:
    -Blue Force Gear VCAS w/ IWC 2to1 conversion and IWC QD swivels
    -20rd mags

How do you like your Kahles K16i 1-6x24 SM2 (SFP, illuminated 2moa center dot, mil-hash elevation ladder) reticle ? Does this reticle work well with 77gr match ammo out to 500yds ?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Very nice pair! How do you like the Vortex 2.5-10?
    You know I am ashamed to admit, after having posted the build, but I haven't had the chance to shoot the Recon yet. Just fondling the scope though I am impressed with it. I can't believe how featured packed it is for the price and as best I can tell quality doesn't seem to suffer for it. The rule of thumb that the viper pst 2.5-10x32 is 90% of a Nightforce for 50% the cost sure seems appropriate and I got a screaming deal from Eagle Valley Outfitters, like under $700. It is perfect in terms of key features, quality, and value for a scope to cut your long range teeth on.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    How do you like your Kahles K16i 1-6x24 SM2 (SFP, illuminated 2moa center dot, mil-hash elevation ladder) reticle ? Does this reticle work well with 77gr match ammo out to 500yds ?
    I am enamored with this scope! It is exactly what I was looking for in a low power variable optic. A relativly lightweight scope that could actually be used like a RDS w/ flip-to-side magnifier but with the added capability of elevation holds and a little more magnification. The 2moa SM2 center dot is fast and blazingly bright in its familiarity to an Aimpoint (the center dot does not bloom). The eye-box is roomy on low power and manageable at 6x. Much of its speed on low power is also due to Kahles' outstanding optical quality. This thing is clear and bright as can be, and the field of view is HUGE, bigger the the Swaro Z6i even. The mil-hash ladder is simple and usable for holds at 6x, albeit not as fast as a BDC reticle. The stadia are thin enough they don't obstruct the target much. There are 10mils of elevation (.5mil increments) the ladder which with a 16" barrel and 77gr SMK is enough to lob it out to somewhere around 850yds w/ 100yd zero.

About the only thing I would change would be the adjustments .15 mil/click to .1 mil/click, though I dont plan on dialing elevation much it would be easier to keep track of tenths if I do. Also some windage marks on the horizontal axis would be nice, though the uncluttered/RDS-like illuminated reticle is a primary strength, IMO. One quirk is the illumination is only on the center dot but on full power it bleeds over and lights up the mil-hash ladder also, though in low light the max setting is way too much, so basically no illumination on the elevation markings.

http://www.sportoptics.com/kahles-ri...16i-10516.aspx
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 04-06-14 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

This thing is clear and bright as can be, and the field of view is HUGE, bigger the the Swaro Z6i even.

http://www.sportoptics.com/kahles-ri...16i-10516.aspx
    That is very hard for me to imagine.

Great builds. I love the Gen 2 guns.
    FUNDAMENTALS: A crutch for the talentless

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    That is very hard for me to imagine.

Great builds. I love the Gen 2 guns.
    Thanks!

Which part? Granted my colloquialism is unquantifiable. Clarity and brightness are right up there with the best of them. Do you disagree?
    The Kahles k16i has the same erector assembly as the Swarovski z6i, if I am not mistaken. The K16i only beats the Z6i FOV by only a few feet at 100yds on 1x (on paper) but the Swarovski is already well known for its large FOV, a slight increase is quite remarkable.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks!

The K16i only beats the Z6i FOV by only a few feet at 100yds on 1x (on paper) but the Swarovski is already well known for its large FOV, a slight increase is quite remarkable.
    Sorry. I was talking about the FOV part. I don't disagree or question anything you say. I know how huge the FOV is on a z6 and it is just hard for me to imagine a scope with a larger FOV. I don't doubt it is just hard to fathom...
    Last edited by David Thomas; 04-06-14 at 21:03.
    FUNDAMENTALS: A crutch for the talentless

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow. Nice builds brother.
    Quality from top to bottom.
    I am in the process of building something along the lines of your Light Recce. Will post once finished.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very nice builds!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice....just picked up a MUR upper to use
    SCAR 17 FDE
    Noveske Afgan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast