Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE IN OP: Info on Magtech Gaurdian Gold .45 ACP +P 230 JHP ammo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

UPDATE IN OP: Info on Magtech Gaurdian Gold .45 ACP +P 230 JHP ammo

Gents-
    Anyone tried this, or have reliable info on it?
    Specs seem pretty hot:
    MV: 1007 fps
    ME: 518
    That's a pretty hot load on a 45ACP. The Hornady +P load is about 960fps iirc.
    FWIW..Id be shooting it in mg old G21.

UPDATE: I just received an email from Magtech...says this velocity is from a 5" barrel at 23,000 psi.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 05-23-14 at 12:50.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Does it say what barrel length? 1007 doesn't jive out of a 5" barrel.
    Last edited by markm; 05-08-14 at 12:07.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Does it say what barrel length? 1007 doesn't jive out of a 5" barrel.
    Unless you chrono the ammo from your particular weapon, you'll never have a true picture.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Localgrizzly View Post
    Unless you chrono the ammo from your particular weapon, you'll never have a true picture.
    Yeah, but I can't see getting that fast out of any normal pistol barrel. I think the 45acp peaks velocity at like 10-12" of barrel, but even then, I'm thinking a 230 only got into the 900s.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah, but I can't see getting that fast out of any normal pistol barrel. I think the 45acp peaks velocity at like 10-12" of barrel, but even then, I'm thinking a 230 only got into the 900s.
    Agreed. Even +p is normally rated at ~925 for 230s. Heck, I only get ~1100 from Remington 185 +P from my full size 1911. And that bullet is 45 grains lighter.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah.. last time I saw velocities posted like that, the manufacturer had put 185 gr Velocity on the box. I can't remember what company it was.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No sir...it does not mention barrel length. SURELY to hell they aren't quoting barrel length velocities over 5".
    THATS f-in cheatin in my book. Im gonna see what I can find out...got me curious now.
    Any info on Magtech ammo in general?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have to think they just have their 185 data on there. I don't think there's any safe way to get that velocity from 230 out of any barrel length.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I shot some in my PM45. Pretty snappy. I bought a couple different kinds of ammo to function test. Magtech, gold dots, XTP. Shot a 5" group at 15yd with them. I settled on the gold dots because of know performance and availability. I would have no issues carrying them if needed. They worked well, just more recoil and kind of pricey. From what I remember, the tip felt pretty sharp when handling them (side note).

Feedback Score
    Those numbers sound more like .45 Super than .45ACP. I would be leery of running them in a .45ACP pistol unless the recoil spring was quite a bit heavier and the chamber was fully supported. You know, like you'd find in a .45 Super.

A good strong revolver would also be a good candidate like a Super Blackhawk convertible or a Freedom Arms with a .45ACP cylinder. I have some experience hot rodding .45ACP brass in a five shot FA cylinder. Like 185gr bullets at 1400fps.... worked fine but that is in a very strong revolver with very tight chambers that are fully supported. Even though the experiment was successful it is not one I will repeat. Just not worth the risk of accidentally getting that really hot ammo in one of my two autos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast