Thread: Any tips for starting to sharpen a beveled, but not sharpened edge?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Any tips for starting to sharpen a beveled, but not sharpened edge?

Here's my problem: I recently purchased a Gerber covert folder (AF blade), which I'm sure because of ridiculous knife laws, does not come with both edges sharpened. The blade is double beveled, but the second side is basically rounded off. My go to sharpener is my Spyderco sharpmaker, which works wonders for someone without any sharpening training (me), however I am having a hell of time getting an edge started on the blade. I've shined up the edge, basically I've ground off the finish making the edge shiney, but it is still pretty much rounded off. I searched around on here and couldn't find an answer to this, should I just keep going and going on my sharpmaker, or is there an easier/better way to give me a workable edge to sharpen? I appreciate any insight, as I really don't want to wear out my starting stones on my sharpmaker in vain.

Here's a link to the knife: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-05785-A...+covert+folder
    Do not go gentle into that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    There is probably a reason it isn't sharpened and it is probably not the law. More than likely a lawyer! If you must do it I would take it to a knife pro and have him grind it. GH

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Have it done by a professional knife sharpener. They'll use a belt sander. You'll never re-profile a non-sharp side with a Sharpmaker.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Professional it is...now any suggestions on somebody to send it off to?
    Do not go gentle into that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Why do you want to do it anyway? Just curious. GH

Feedback Score
    Run a search for Richard J sharpening and you can read up on his reputation. One of the very best!

You could do it yourself with an aggressive diamond stone, but there will still be a lot of labor involved that way.
    Joe
    facebook.com/centexbladeworks
    [url]instagram.com/joewatsonknives

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Your sharpmaker didnt come with the Diamond metal sleeves that slip over the stones?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila45 View Post
    Your sharpmaker didnt come with the Diamond metal sleeves that slip over the stones?
    Nope those are an optional accessory, mine came with the black & white stones only.

GH41 - I want both edges sharpened since that's how it was designed to be, since it's a folding version of the Applegate-Fairbairn combat knife. Although if Gerber stuck to that blade format they never should have added the serrations. It's a familiarity thing, as my limited blade training is with the AF blade style, and I wanted to add this folder for an option as a carry knife in situations when I can't/choose not to carry my CCW.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The key is getting an even sharp bevel set. Once that is accomplished it is just polishing evenly with successively finer grits to your liking from mild to 3 micron crox pasted blasa, 1 & .3 micron diamond spray on felt and then stropping on denim/leather. If your not into spending a couple of hours and investing in a few stones it is best left to a pro. It's not rocket science but it is a learned art.

A cheaper alternative to actual fine stones above 1200 grit is diamond lapping paper (50K grit) similar to wet/dry (50-2000) and cromium oxide 2K - 20-30K sand paper on a piece of glass or a marble tile to get a flat surface. Wet the surface and the paper and smooth out the air bubbles and go to town.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumber237 View Post
    Professional it is...now any suggestions on somebody to send it off to?
    I'm interested in this as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2