Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-technical thread regarding torque on barrel nuts.

Feedback Score

Semi-technical thread regarding torque on barrel nuts.

I see a lot of people making tutorials on forums and YouTube on how to install a barrel.

99% of the videos/pictures have the torque wrench in line with the nut adapter and set their torque wrench to 30ft/lbs. The problem is that the adapter provides additional leverage (think along the lines of a breaker bar).

Who here takes the time to figure out the proper torque setting and who places their torque wrench at a 90° angle to negate any leverage?
    Last edited by netchemica; 04-14-14 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Depending on the wrench, I'll either turn it 90, Use the mathematical formula to correct the torque value, or simply add 5 ft lbs to get it there.

On a USGI nut, there's really only one correct position, and I won't even use a torque wrench.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I just turn it 90 degrees. Basically no guesswork at that point.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The extra leverage the barrel nut wrench provides is kind of moot since the torque spec window is so wide. It's not like you're getting another 50ft/lbs...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    The extra leverage the barrel nut wrench provides is kind of moot since the torque spec window is so wide. It's not like you're getting another 50ft/lbs...
    Yep. Torque specs are really for people without a SHRED of common sense. Some handguards/upper/barrel nuts have material characteristics that require a lower spec than the top end of a USGI nut and receiver...

But for the most part, getting the nut snugged down without Gorilla arming it is not complicated stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. Torque specs are really for people without a SHRED of common sense. Some handguards/upper/barrel nuts have material characteristics that require a lower spec than the top end of a USGI nut and receiver...

But for the most part, getting the nut snugged down without Gorilla arming it is not complicated stuff.
    Very true. MANY a reliable rifle have been built using the mk1 mod0 not-a-gorilla-arm hand and elbow.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That said.... I'll use my torque wrench on my next build just because I have it and I haven't torqued a barrel nut down in nearly a year and this nut isn't timed for a gas tube... so might as well nail it to the spec.
    Last edited by markm; 04-14-14 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    90 degrees for me. GH

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    This has been covered so many times, guys. Do a search both on here and on Google.

The torque range provided by manufacturers usually takes this additional leverage into account. Colt's recommended 30-80 takes the additional leverage of the adapter into account. It's in the manual, though I don't feel like searching for it for you guys. You can find it if you look hard enough.

There is no need for this 90 degree nonsense.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Colt's recommended 30-80 takes the additional leverage of the adapter into account. It's in the manual, though I don't feel like searching for it for you guys. You can find it if you look hard enough.
    This is correct. Barrel replacement can be found in TM 9-1005-319-23&P on page 0015-15 through 0015-17.

http://www.kdeguns.com/ar-manual/M4%...23Pchange8.pdf
    There is no need for this 90 degree nonsense.
    Depends on manufacturer.
    Many are anticipating a 90 degree offset of the torque wrench by the assembler, however, this should be covered in the manufacturer specific armorer's course.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast