Thread: Magpul MOE rifle length handguards vs A2 style slim/thin/tapered handguards

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Magpul MOE rifle length handguards vs A2 style slim/thin/tapered handguards

I have really small hands (Small/size 4) and while I love my BCM KMR rail, I need an inexpensive drop in solution for my dissipator setup. I currently have a MOE rifle length handguard that came with my dissipator upper, and I find it a bit to tall for my hands. Would a slim A2 handguard be a better fit? Does anyone have dimensions for A2 handguards so I can better visualize it before pulling the trigger?

BTW I shoot with my support arm extended as far out as possible, so I would be grabbing the tapered end.

Feedback Score
    Buddy of mine just swapped to a set of MOE hand guards from an A2 set. I do believe the MOE are smaller in circumference. I'll see if I can find dimensions for you.

MOE:
    Height, excluding lip: 2.45 in.
    Width, max: 2.22 in.

A2:
    2-5⁄8" (6.6cm) external diameter at widest point
    1-31⁄32" (5cm) external diameter at narrowest point

According to what I found the A2 is smaller at the taper-as you thought.
    Last edited by JS-Maine; 04-15-14 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Awesome. I've made a ghetto comparison chop with what limited resources I had. Might not be 100% accurate scale wise...but can you tell me if your buddy has the more skinny tapered handguard as shown in the top AR?

Last edited by gundam83; 04-15-14 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post
    ...can you tell me if your buddy has the more skinny tapered handguard as shown in the top AR?
    Had. He switched to a a set of MOE guards. But if I remember correctly he had the set of A2s that were not tapered toward the muzzle end. They really sucked. He wanted the added options that all the Magpul stuff offers. I bet the tapered set would be pretty comfortable in the hand, but don't forget that if you need to hold closer to the upper receiver it's going to have that same bulky feel. That ghetto work makes for a decent comparison btw.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post
    I have really small hands (Small/size 4) and while I love my BCM KMR rail, I need an inexpensive drop in solution for my dissipator setup. I currently have a MOE rifle length handguard that came with my dissipator upper, and I find it a bit to tall for my hands. Would a slim A2 handguard be a better fit? Does anyone have dimensions for A2 handguards so I can better visualize it before pulling the trigger?

BTW I shoot with my support arm extended as far out as possible, so I would be grabbing the tapered end.
    I ditched the MOE handguards for a set of tapered A2 handguards for my Dissipator. The A2 is much mo betta good if you're
    Gripping toward the FSB.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    And then there are the older triangular handguards -- they are even skinnier at the front end. I have a Colt 604 with those on it, and it is quite comfortable to use with a far-forward grip.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775