Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet scoring upon feeding

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I thought the scoring was from the square notch in the back edge of the feed ramps. I could be wrong.

I'll do a test once i get off shift and will advise the outcome.

I'll put a dot with a Sharpie onto the top of the case while it is loaded into the magazine. I'll then slowly feed it into the chamber and slowly eject it (noting the position of the dot during the process). I'll report back.

The scoring certainly could be from the ejector and extractor dragging the case against the ejection port side of the barrel extension. I'll report back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I stand corrected. the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph threw me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looking forward to your results Buford! I just did a quick test myself and find that the bullet gets scored both on chambering and extraction.

My testing method was this.

1. hand chamber a round, then extract normally
    2. chamber a round normally, then extract slowly with finger pressing on case so the tip does not rub against barrel extension.

The marks are the same shape, at least on my particular setup.
    Last edited by ouchonyee; 04-16-14 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Hookuleez is right in my case. I conducted my experiment on my upper (which leaves some very slight scratches that are even more faint than the above picture) and the scratches are actually engraving on the bullet as it is dragged against the ejection-port-side of the barrel extension upon EXTRACTION.

Granted, I have already polished my feed ramps (as I do on every barrel I install), so any marks that may be left by the feedramps are simply non-existent.

And we learn something new every day.....
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ah ha! Nice update Buford, I guess I should polish my feed ramps..

I should mention my feed marks were slightly less marring, a smoother line, whereas my ejection marks looked exactly like talywhacker's picture above, with a little bit of chatter

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yeah, I don't see any feed marks on my upper....only extraction marks. This was after feeding and extracting 12 rounds. 6 fast and 6 slow.

Obviously, the extraction marks will not affect a round that is fired.

Quote Originally Posted by ouchonyee View Post
    Ah ha! Nice update Buford, I guess I should polish my feed ramps..

I should mention my feed marks were slightly less marring, a smoother line, whereas my ejection marks looked exactly like talywhacker's picture above, with a little bit of chatter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12