Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sale of magazine bodies to CA resident

Feedback Score

Sale of magazine bodies to CA resident

Guys -

Is it kosher to sell magazine bodies from another state to a CA resident, or will this bring the feds down on my house at 0230 one morning?

USMA84DAB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's no federal law prohibiting >10rnd mags in CA so the feds won't prosecute you.

If it's JUST the mag bodies I'd say you're okay. If you're sending a bunch of disassembled parts (spring, follower, body, and floor plate) that can be constructed into a CA defined "hi-cap" mag then I wouldn't.

Feedback Score
    Just 20 round mag bodies

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Can't legally do it by Cali law:

Penal Code 32311
    (a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2014, any person in this state who knowingly manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large capacity magazine conversion kit is punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment. This section does not apply to a fully assembled large-capacity magazine, which is governed by Section 32310.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a "large capacity magazine conversion kit" is a device or combination of parts of a fully functioning large-capacity magazine, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, capable of converting an ammunition feeding device into a large-capacity magazine.
    At a minimum, the receiver of the mag bodies is breaking the law.
    Last edited by HackerF15E; 04-15-14 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    Can't legally do it by Cali law:

At a minimum, the receiver of the mag bodies is breaking the law.
    Under your interpretation buying a follower alone in CA is breaking CA law (and nobody's stopped selling those standalone in CA)... Sure it's still a gray area, but you can't say a mag body is definitely breaking the law.
    Last edited by Plasman; 04-15-14 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    WOW! That was exactly what I needed. Much thanks!!!!

USMA84DAB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    Under your interpretation buying a follower alone in CA is breaking CA law (and nobody's stopped selling those standalone in CA)... Sure it's still a gray area, but you can't say a mag body is definitely breaking the law.
    The problem with a grey area is that is it really worth the risk? I live in PA and like to deal locally and I get a lot of guys from Maryland, NJ, and NY trying for things that are, at best, questionable in those states. I've gotten to the point if it is not tactical nylon, a holster, or a light I will not deal with them because I simply cannot keep up with their convoluted laws and I don't trust the powers that be in those states to not try to screw me even if I am righteous in the sale because it will cost me money in the long run. Those are just the ones who are in the grey area, I don't want to talk about the guys who are blatantly looking to break the law. My rule of thumb, if it doesn't feel 100% I pass it by, even if it means I don't sell something I am looking to sell.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You are aware that some cities have gone after companies selling so-called rebuild kits, right? Me personally I would not take that chance over something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    WRONG.

Selling magazine bodies "only" to someone in CA is 100% legal. It is not considered a magazine or a rebuild kit.
    "Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    WRONG.
    Section 32311 looks pretty clear to me. Something more in depth than 'WRONG' would probably be good to support your position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast